Do i get a kindle fire and if so, which one?

(11 Posts)
tiredofbadwifi Sun 17-Jan-16 22:18:45

I'm completely bewildered by the choice and I have no idea which to go for.
I basically want to be able to read, watch stuff on netflix (particularly netflix as i'm not a prime member, type stuff up (student with lots of lovely horrible essays which it would be nice to be able to do in school and not on one of the horrible clunky machines that crash every 5 minutes. There are also some games I'd quite like to play which my Mum has on her iPad.
Being able to youtube/facebook/mumsnet on this would be really handy too, but not essential.
Also, I can't really see much difference between all the different kfires on amazon apart from maybe colour and size.... Please help, I feel old (and I'm really not)

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Jan-16 22:22:12

I've got the cheapest version £40-50 and it's great for the price but I wouldn't type any essays on it

Fuckitfay Sun 17-Jan-16 22:30:05

I don't think you could type essays on it.
If you want a tablet to do essays on you need one compatible with a keyboard and a bit of a bigger screen - I would say iPad

tiredofbadwifi Mon 18-Jan-16 16:57:04

Why couldn't I type up an essay on it? Is it because of the screen size or the touch screen keyboard? And is that the only thing I can't do out of the things I've said? Sorry, just want to know exactly, I'm not good with tech in the first place so I'd like to get the right one

Costacoffeeplease Mon 18-Jan-16 17:13:32

Both - plus having a suitable app, there may be one but I haven't looked

You'd need to check what games are available as the kindle uses Amazon's own App Store which is different to apple and android

Check the games and apps in the amazon store as Costacoffeeplease suggests. I got the cheapest one at Christmas and was a bit surprised to find it is google-free. This means no gmail app, no google keep for my lists of everything, no google docs, no youtube, no google chrome that knows all my passwords... it's good for reading, but the battery life is not great. The keyboard isn't great for lots of typing, compared to a samsung galaxy phone.

tiredofbadwifi Mon 18-Jan-16 17:58:28

Oh ok, thankyou. I'm pretty sure you can word on it though? I just checked the appstore and everything I need is on it

The decent doc editors are quite expensive. £6ish.

tiredofbadwifi Mon 18-Jan-16 20:30:51

Hmm :/ Thankyou. I'm getting my uncle to investigate what I should get if not a kindle fire (you've convinced me it may not be the best idea, thankyou smile ) as he used to build computers so I'm hoping he knows what would be good. Thanks again smile Really helpful

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Sun 24-Jan-16 05:59:41

I teach people to use tablets and would suggest you get a different android tablet. I would say the hudl is great but in told they're discontinued.
You can totally type essays on them, Word or google docs apps are free, although you might like a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

tiredofbadwifi Mon 25-Jan-16 18:34:41

Thankyou smile turns out I'm getting an onda v891, as it does everything I need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now