Transferring music from an ancient ipod onto my iphone 6

(11 Posts)
lisbapalea Tue 25-Aug-15 13:50:50

I am a total dunce when it comes to technology but I think what I am trying to do is feasible, I just don't know how.

I have an ancient ipod mini, from the days of yore when iphones and the icloud hadn't been invented.

I no longer have the laptop which I set it up with, so the songs ONLY exist on the ipod.

Is there a way I can download them onto my iphone 6? If so can someone explain to me in Noddy language how I might be able to do this?

Justfivemoreminutesplease Tue 25-Aug-15 13:57:08

Ooh no, but I would like to know as well please, as it's the same for me - I went into an Apple Store to ask but helpfully they just laughed at me for still using my iPod. I came out none the wiser over what to do confused

BabyGanoush Tue 25-Aug-15 13:57:28

I am not techy

But think you can do it via your PC anyway. What happens when you plug it in? I have had i pods outlast my PCs, and just plugged them jnto new PC. Sometimes you need to know the code/serial number which is engraved on back

Or ask Apple help desk (google them, send them e-mail via website), they can ve very helpful

lisbapalea Tue 25-Aug-15 14:01:22

I went into the apple store to ask them and they said the official line was no, you can't do it, but if I was to google the question I might find an answer from a non-official source!

I then tried that but the language wasn't noddy enough for me to really understand what I was supposed to do, and I think most sites were trying to sell me some dodgy software, which is why I turned to the trusted oracle that is mumsnet!

I don't actually know what happens when I plug it into my new laptop - probably should have tried that before I asked the question! I will try that when I get home later and report back...

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 25-Aug-15 14:03:46

Youtube is your friend!!!

Hobbes8 Tue 25-Aug-15 14:06:42

If you plug it into your laptop and try to synch it you will most likely lose your music. Music only synchs from a computer to the iPod and not the other way round. The only way round it is to download some software. You can then get the music from your iPod into your computer, then from the computer onto your phone.

bloodyteenagers Tue 25-Aug-15 14:21:06

Disclaimer - don't shout at me if this does not work.. I have done it myself and it worked.

You do need a laptop or pc. Without these you cannot transfer.

Also if you bought the music from iTunes, these will already be in your
Account.

You need to download iTunes. Once
Downloaded you go into preferences - on the toolbar in iTunes it's edit and then preferences.

Select devices.
Click the Devices button and make sure ‘Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically’ is checked. This does as it says and stops the auto synch.. If you want to add tracks to an iPod you do this as well so you don't have to always re add the whole playlist.

bloodyteenagers Tue 25-Aug-15 14:30:01

Now you have done the above
Connect the device to the pc and the drivers will install.
Follow the on screen instruction but read them in case anything about synch pops up.

Now on your pc go into control panel - folder options.

Click on the 'View' tab in the 'Folder Options' window and in the 'Files and Folders'>'Hidden files and folders' folder, highlight 'Show hidden files, folders and drivers'

Open windows Explorer and Select your iPod drive and open the folder 'iPod_Control' then open 'Music' folder.

Press 'ctrl' + 'A' to select all files and copy all the folders in your Music folder. You can then paste all of your music to wherever you like on your PC.

Right now your file folders and filenames will look something like F00/TWVP.mp3 and not make a lot of sense. once you import them into iTunes or Windows Media Player the files inbuilt ID3 tags should be read by the programs and all your music should be displayed nice and neatly with track and artist information once again. It doesn't always happen though so you might have to do some manually - it depends on where you go the tracks from originally.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 25-Aug-15 23:02:52

I used free software to transfer mine - the charmingly named iDump. It probably does what Bloody describes only it does it for you invisibly. You do need iTunes installed on your laptop though.

woodhill Tue 25-Aug-15 23:05:50

I rang apple, they are helpful and will sort it, I still use my 2008 ipod. worked on holiday.

shggg245 Tue 25-Aug-15 23:11:18

Thanks - I've also got this problem so I'm going to try idump, most of my albums are on my ipod and I'd hate to lose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now