Virus pop up won't disappear!

(5 Posts)
AhoyMcCoy Thu 21-May-15 15:16:11

Have tried to attach pic to show the message on my laptop. Says my computer has a virus and I need to call some dodgy number but when I press OK it doesn't disappear. I can't go on any other webpages. Shutting down my laptop and restarting it doesn't work, whenever I start it back up, the same internet page is still there! I only got my laptop a month or so ago and paid for anti virus protection so I have no idea what I've done wrong! Can anyone help?!

cdtaylornats Thu 21-May-15 17:42:00

Can you try restoring it to a saved restore point.

Chanatan Fri 22-May-15 06:58:45

ds had this virus,it had actually disabled his antivirus,I tried all the virus ,malware scanners but gave up and restored it to factory settings,it seemed to be a particularly nasty virus.

CaveMum Fri 22-May-15 15:35:44

I've had similar happen to me.

Switch your computer off by holding down the power button. Then restart in Safe Mode: press F8 several times while it starts up, you'll get a message asking if you want to start up in safe mode.

Then go online and download a free antivirus like Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org). Hopefully this will get rid of the virus for you.

AhoyMcCoy Fri 22-May-15 20:45:28

Ended up restoring to factory settings - safe mode wasn't working at all, but restoring to factory settings stopped it thank goodness! Definitely had anti virus there so no idea how it got past it - will keep a close eye on it from now! Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now