Clean up laptop

(6 Posts)
twiglet59 Wed 16-Apr-14 07:26:04

Can anyone help me? We bought a VAIO computer a few months ago with Windows on it. The virus protection ran out on it a few weeks ago and stupidly did not add anything. The last few days I have been getting very annoying pop ups and it running slowly. I went onto Mumsnet yesterday to look at what other Mum's recommend for protection a lot of you recommended the free AVG. It is still running slowly and still pop ups. When I run it again it says there are viruses to clean up and that I should buy the AVG advanced. I'm not great with PC's (as you can probably tell). Is there something I can get to clean it up.

Deux Wed 16-Apr-14 07:41:24

Sometimes the pop ups are caused by a piece of software called theseaapp. Check your program files and if it's there delete it.

AllThreeWays Wed 16-Apr-14 07:47:53

try this I use it. You shouldn't need to pay to remove viruses with free programs.

twiglet59 Wed 16-Apr-14 07:56:30

Thanks. I'll try that.

Note that you should have uninstalled the original antivirus before installing AVG and if you are trying Avast you should uninstall AVG first. It's never a good idea to have 2 antivirus programs on the same PC.

Also try MalwareBytes. MalwareBytes is unlikely to conflict with your antivirus.

niceguy2 Wed 16-Apr-14 09:32:19

Another vote for malwarebytes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now