Which smart phone to upgrade to?

(6 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Sat 22-Mar-14 09:16:58

I'm due an upgrade in a couple of months. Currently got a Sony Xperia P and what my main gripes with it are:
- no option to add additional memory card storage
- fixed battery
- camera is very slow to focus and capture. I miss soooo many shots of my v fast toddler as a result. It's otherwise a decent enough camera but I need something more reactive.

Thanks!

One of the Nokia Lumias possibly. I went to them after years of iphone. I can put in a memory card for extra storage, and I don't even have the newest fanciest one and the camera is fab. Does have a fixed battery though. I think lots do.
The Nokia lumia 1020 has something like a 41 mp camera. Mine only has something like 8mp but does have loads of great features on it.

Janek Sat 22-Mar-14 10:05:47

What's a fixed battery? I have a nokia lumia 520 and you can remove the battery, so surely that's not fixed?!?

Samsung s5 is out pretty soon . Samsung has been the best phone I have had by far.

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 11:06:20

Being nosy curious, roughly what do you pay each month, and is it worth considering a SIM Only deal? Paying outright for a mobile may prove better value... but looks "not so good" because spending 150-450 {or more} in one go can open your eyes to how much is walking around in people's pockets and handbags as "new" mobiles in every town, city, and village...

As you have the Xperia P, did you take advantage of the deal Sony did with Box.com to give you 50 GB of storage online (would have needed to download the Box App from Google Play store last year), so you could save your photos for collection on a laptop, tablet, or next mobile phone?

Someone on another thread has mentioned the Sony Xperia SP, which has double the battery capacity (still not removable though), bigger screen of higher pixel density, pretty much everything else similar or better than Xperia P (but no HDMI support). Also, the Xperia SP is a 4G phone, so if you are using Tesco Mobile or Three, it could give you a speed boost for no extra charge. At

See > this comparison < which pulls out the main differences and compares with other recent phones or this > GSM Arena < comparison (for heavy duty on the specifications)

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 11:09:16

Forgot to mention Xperia SP price - around 220 from the other thread, but your network might not offer it, or charge more... Question is whether the combination of SIM Only (giving similar allowances for voice calls, texts and data) + new mobile purchase is less than carrying on with your contract payments for next 24 months (am guessing that is how often they let you upgrade)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now