Help me find a mobile phone!!!

(12 Posts)
utahforever Fri 21-Mar-14 21:15:59

I'm looking for a new phone recommendation please.

Currently I have a lovely Samsung (pay as you go) that is a few many years old that works for what I need, but apparently I need to get with the times grin

I'm not looking for a mini computer, just want to be able to text, phone (maybe once a day), take photos, access web (but only intermittently) and cool in the eyes of a 10 year old.

I have never had a contract phone, but would consider this. My current phone cost me £30, and £400+ seems silly to spend for what I want, although I will pay for a decent data rate.

What would you recommend?

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 09:15:37

Ask your 10yo what phone they recommend, then come back!

Sorry, I can see where you're coming from, but the more costly phones are mainly available on contract (which in my eyes just add to the rip off pricing). At the bottom end, there have been some bargain Android phones at around the £50-100 mark, which could be suitable, and with a PAYG tariff, not cost you a fortune in monthly fees.

It also depends on coverage (ie are you north, south, city, rural, etc).

One solution (which could be useless if signals are poor) might be to use Three, with a 50 quid PAYG phone and £15 top up. They do offer add-ons (30 day better value combinations) but you could get a feel for how much data you use just by having the PAYG rates (3p/min for voice, 2p per text, and 1p per MB). Do use wi-fi whenever you can (esp at home) so you don't have the data gobble up all the credit, just checking for new e-mail etc. If you are more rural, get no coverage from Three, then perhaps some clues as to which networks friends/ relatives / neighbours are using would help (and your 10yo may be up on which networks work best near you!)

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 09:33:31

I mention Three as a regular and heavy user, but also because their cheapest plan gives 200 minutes, 5000 texts and 500 MB of data for £6.90 a month.

Once you get a feel for how much data you use over on PAYG, over a few months, you'd be able to see if this SIM only deal was better value, IYSWIM. Many newer phones have built in control/ warning if you get close to the limit (and could be charged a lot for use over your allowance), but starting with PAYG the only time you'd get a shock would be if you used up all credit and then needed to make an urgent call.

From Three there's the LG Optimus L1 II (49.99), Motorola RAZR i (149.99) which both have wi-fi (so you can use home broadband not just 3G data), and in between, price wise, is the 8GB Motorola Moto G, which has been described as one of the best budget Android phones in the past 6 months. (NB there's also a 16 GB model, more expensive, and the Moto X at 280 quid if you were after more features!)

The Moto G could be bought "SIM Free" so it would be usable on any network you chose, depending on what networks give best signals in your area.

IamInvisible Sat 22-Mar-14 09:40:04

DS2 has this Sony phone. He has a 12 a month Giff Gaff goody bag, but says he could reduce it really.

When we looked at it we at Christmas we thought about a contract, but then looked at the whole price over the term and decided it was ridiculous money and didn't want to be tied in.

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 12:46:59

That Sony Xperia SP is quite a lot of phone for the money smile

However, the OP might want to spend half that, and the Xperia M from the same business on Amazon is pretty good and saves 100+ quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-SIM-free-Android-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00DPT4XK6

Indith Sat 22-Mar-14 12:49:59

You can get a little Sony experia for around £60 outright which will do all you want it to do. giffgaff sim cards are great, the goody bags are brilliant value and you are not locked in to anything.

roadwalker Sat 22-Mar-14 12:55:48

what network does giffgaff use
the rates look great but I live in an area that has no signal for some networks

Indith Sat 22-Mar-14 13:03:40

o2

Theas18 Sat 22-Mar-14 14:34:43

Motorola moto g £99 at O2 at the moment without top up.

Giffgaff goody bag and you are sorted with actually a lovely little phone that punches above the price bracket and low ongoing costs.

Theas18 Sat 22-Mar-14 14:36:12

Definitely jot a contract for you, your useage is very low, and actually they are almost never the cost effective route.

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 14:36:42

Tesco also uses O2, and seen here : http://www.mobiles4everyone.com/show.asp?hs=xperiatipoblack is a low cost Sony Xperia Tipo (I have a couple of them) which, for 7.50/month, gets you the phone and 250 minutes/month, 500 MB data and unlimited texts. Also triple Clubcard points, but they may be of no interest.

I bought the Tipo 9-12 months ago when they were being pulled off shelves at O2 and T-Mobile (presumably to make space for other phones in stock rooms) at around the £50-60 but can only see them at £90-120 now. My O2 Tipo was a refurbished model from O2, while the T-Mobile was brand new (but had to visit 3 or 4 stores to find one with it in stock).

NetworkGuy Sat 22-Mar-14 14:38:11

Great price for the Moto G. I may be tempted (as it has had great reviews) and then will get it unlocked and use on Three smile

Thanks Theas18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now