Your challenge should you choose to accept it: Help find me a laptop for work

(10 Posts)
K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 10:43:47

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything quite right when I searched.

I'm self-employed and I've made bit more cash this tax year than expected and I need a new laptop so for the first time I am going to invest in a laptop just for work. However, I am a bit clueless because I'm not a techy type! I write reports, analyse data, review policies and documents and do the odd presentation - general business consultancy stuff within my profession.

What I need:

Good internet access and speed - I often work in remote applications accessed online.

Flash capability. I don't currently need this but this may change depending on clients and their applications.

MS Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint (pos also Publisher)

Other applications: SPSS

Keyboard

Trackpad/internal mouse

Easy connectivity

Long battery life

Portable (so smallish and not too heavy)

Possibly a webcam but not essential.

Online back up.

What I don't need:

I don't need it to sync with my iphone.

I don't need loads of memory space because I use an online file storage system.

I don't need amazing graphics capability

I don't need it to look beautiful (although that would be nice!)

I don't need a touch screen

Other info, I love Apple products and have an iPad and iPhone but I don't think I need to link them. I will not buy another Dell after their short warranty and refusal to honour the sale of goods act and general rubbish customer service. I like a bargain and don't want to spend a fortune.

permaquandry Mon 17-Mar-14 10:54:48

Sorry k8te, I can't help you but shamelessly marking my place as I'd like the same thing!

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 13:52:06

Well if there's two of us it must exist! If not, someone needs to invent it grin

Quejica Mon 17-Mar-14 13:56:10

I love my MacBook Air. I also love that it syncs with my iphone.

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 14:16:02

I have been looking at those (they are gorgeous!) but I'm a bit worried about compatibility with MS office. Everyone I know with a mac is always having problems with sending and formatting documents and that's no good when I'm working with clients.

I'm not too bothered about the syncing because I can sync the home computer with iPhone via iTunes and the cloud thingy and I have a Google calendar I can share across multiple devices. Plus this is just for work so I don't need to share photos and things.

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 19:04:15

Bump

K8Middleton Tue 18-Mar-14 09:57:14

Bump

K8Middleton Tue 18-Mar-14 12:22:54

I'm going to end up buying the pretty one because I don't know any better sad

DoctorTwo Thu 20-Mar-14 10:39:59

Toshiba Satellite series always get good reviews on here, they're pretty well specked (sp). What you could do, and I'd recommend it, is take your list of requirements to a local independent pc shop and get advice based on that.

Go for:-

Dual core processor, prob AMD, with a clock speed above 2Ghz.
At least 4GB of RAM.
Disk size of >500GB.
Wifi card with 801.11b/g/n, so conforming to the latest standard.
4 USB ports, either USB2.0 or 3.0
Windows 7 or 8, not XP as support ends for that next month.
Full MS Office suite.

Good luck.

K8Middleton Fri 21-Mar-14 11:00:55

I will have to check that out, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now