IT/website/internetz pros please help, way out of my depth!

(10 Posts)
cashewfrenzy Sat 15-Mar-14 20:37:53

I'm trying to set up email addresses for a club I am involved with. I want them to be eg admin@clubwebsite.co.uk and I know Microsoft Outlook should allow me to do this.

I have got as far as a page called Domain Settings and it says "To set up mail and prove ownership of this domain, you must create an MX record through your domain registrar. " - it gives me settings to use. How/what do I need to do next?! In simple terms, as if I am three years old ... please? thanks

Cindy34 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:44:07

Does your domain host provide instructions? That is the first place I would look.

What is asking for MX record? Is that Outlook?

cashewfrenzy Sat 15-Mar-14 20:47:18

Outlook is asking for me to create an MX record through my domain registrar, and it says to proceed I will need to create a DNS record.

I don't do any of the website stuff - a couple of the others have done all of it thus far, it's Wordpress and the word is it's a bit complicated .... :/

cashewfrenzy Sat 15-Mar-14 20:47:55

Maybe I just need to get the website people onto it but I am not sure they will know much better to be honest.

Cindy34 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:54:05

You need to edit the DNS records. No idea what you need to do for Outlook (is it Outlook.com cloud based system?) but I suspect you may need to add a couple of records to the DNS at different priorities. Mail records are processed in a priority order, 10 is a higher priority than 100.

Do you know what company registered the domain - such as 1&1, GoDaddy, there are lots of companies out there.

When you say it is wordpress, is that wordpress.com or wordpress hosted on your own site? There are two versions.

cashewfrenzy Sat 15-Mar-14 20:56:04

I'll be honest with you Cindy, I haven't got a clue. I'm sorry blush I am truly in over my head! Thank you but from what you've said I need to go back and pass this to the person doing the site at the moment and hope it means something to her ...!

thanks

Cindy34 Sat 15-Mar-14 21:01:39

Wordpress is easy once you get used to it - least if you are just adding new blog posts, editing existing posts and pages.

Messing with the layout is more complicated.

Sounds like you need someone who knows more about the system to setup the email. Some providers will give you multiple mailboxes, so you can have sales@ admin@ while others may let you only have a catch-all account, so anything@domain gets through. Others may not provide mail at all and may not let you change DNS settings.

Cindy34 Sat 15-Mar-14 21:03:27

If it is a website hosted by Wordpress.com with a Custom Domain, then there are details here about changing DNS records.

cashewfrenzy Sat 15-Mar-14 21:11:32

Oooooh thank you for that - I will have a look. You're very kind for taking the time to help - much appreciated smile

FirstWebsiteSuccess Sun 16-Mar-14 17:07:12

Sounds like you're trying to use outlook.com for linking with your domain/website.

Take a look at this article which I found by googling "Outlook and MX"

http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-outlook-on-custom-domain/24699/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now