If you buy a PAYG phone with a 'carrier' in the US, will it work in the UK?

(12 Posts)

I've come across this amazing apparently bomb-proof Android phone which doesn't appear to be sold here - carrier is AT&T - does that mean it's locked to them?

It's this one - NEC Terrain

(DS2 is hopeless with phones, is always dropping them angry sad this sounds perfect for him)

prh47bridge Wed 12-Mar-14 17:43:23

It may well be locked to AT&T. You also need to be aware that it has a small screen due to the inclusion of a small keyboard, the camera is poor and it uses an obsolete version of Android. NEC is pulling out of the smartphone business.

Thanks, prh smile

He prefers the actual keyboard & isn't that bothered about the camera, I don't think - obsolete Android would probably be an issue though

Do you know of any similar phones which would be a better buy? (& could something locked to an American network be unlocked over here?)

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Wed 12-Mar-14 19:27:11

The actual phone won't work, will it? they use a different type of network over there or something <vague>.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Wed 12-Mar-14 19:30:12

Oh, I see in the listing it has GSM1800, think that's the uk one. Ignore me, then. grin

Thanks for that though, BrokenSleep (I would not have known any of that!)

I have found a UK samsung that might do

this one - Galaxy XCover 2

amicissimma Thu 13-Mar-14 16:15:25

I don't know what he wants in a phone (apart from indestructibility) but have you had a look at the Carphone Warehouse? You can search by price low-high on PAYG and they have some cheap deals which won't be too painful if they are broken. Add a decent case off Amazon etc and they might last a bit. AFAIK their PAYG phones are all unlocked. At least it's easy to go back to them if you have a problem.

I know you said he wants a keyboard, but I have recently had use of a Huawei 300 and have been very impressed with it. I know it's been dropped (but not how 'badly') and it's been OK. My family throw Samsungs around a bit and we've not had damage - yet!

Thank you, amicissimma smile

It's me that's wanting the indestructibility grin

His phones are just jinxed. Having broken his Galaxy S3 - several times - he's been using an iphone3 which was dd2's & then mine (& someone else's before dd2 had it) & until now was problem-free.

He's had it less than 2 weeks & has already had a 'white screen of death' - though it is still working intermittently...

He's got 7-8 months left on an O2 contract so whatever we get has to be O2 or unlocked.

I will have a look at carphone warehouse, thanks!

(The first time his s3 broke we got him a £30 Nokia, with keyboard, from Tesco - on Tesco mobile but it was only going to be temporary & then an emergency back-up. It disappeared - it was in the house, but on silent, & could not be found. Still here somewhere...)

NetworkGuy Fri 14-Mar-14 22:56:59

What age is he? I suspect the Nokia went missing 'cos it simply isn't 'cool' and his friends would take the mick.

What network is he on? I have an Alcatel OT-606 (has QWERTY keyboard, but no internet) - it'd work on all networks but Three...

NetworkGuy Fri 14-Mar-14 22:59:35

> GSM Arena < has a phone search feature which would allow for selecting Android AND Keyboard AND camera (etc)... but results may include phones sold outside UK, but may help in locating something suitable.

(OK, you may be sorted for now, but bookmark it for 18 months time.)

Thanks, NetworkGuy smile

He's old enough not to care about coolness - in fact he was gutted when he lost it.

The iphone3 is taking incoming calls but the screen doesn't work so he can't do anything else - he is going to take it to the apple store next week to see if there might be an inexpensive fix, but he bought a dead basic £15 Nokia today from the O2 shop - phone, text, alarms etc, nothing clever but at least he's in contact again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now