Using a tablet or smartphone for online shopping and banking - safe?

(8 Posts)
principalitygirl Wed 29-Jan-14 17:20:46

I've a Samsung tablet and a Sony smartphone.
Is it safe to use them to buy things online and to do online banking without having specific security software on them? If not, what do I need and can someone recommend a good freebie pls? Or are online banking and shopping apps e.g. eBay secure enough as they are?

I bank with Santander and downloaded the recommended Rapport software via their website to my netbook but they don't have a version for android unfortunately.

cheers!

principalitygirl Tue 04-Feb-14 22:15:49

bump?!

prh47bridge Tue 04-Feb-14 23:33:47

I would recommend treating any mobile device the same way you would a PC. There is a fair amount of malware around for Android, although nowhere near as much as there is for PCs. There are quite a few decent free apps on the Play Market. Personally I would recommend the Kaspersky product.

principalitygirl Wed 05-Feb-14 09:02:02

Thanks prh!

I've downloaded the free Kaspersky one but am struggling with set up. I'm on a page called synchronization settings which is asking me for info I don't know (server / port / group / email) and can't progress setup until I complete them. I'm probably being dim but can you help...?

prh47bridge Wed 05-Feb-14 09:58:49

I think you've picked up Kaspersky Security which is intended for use by business. You want Kaspersky Internet Security - I've linked to the correct product in the Google Play Store.

principalitygirl Wed 05-Feb-14 14:42:03

That's great - thanks so much!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 09-Feb-14 23:01:21

A good (paid for) app is Lastpass, which comes with its own https browser. That will happily load and autologin to my bank's mobile site. The passwords it stores are protected by a single master passphrase, and it will also store notes such as the Enigma string the bank uses as a second line of defence.

I'm happy with it in 6 years use.

principalitygirl Mon 10-Feb-14 08:48:44

Thanks Disgrace! I'll check out Lastpass. Six years with no problems is a good testimony!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now