dual band router not working

(7 Posts)
roadwalker Sun 19-Jan-14 11:43:18

I have a netgear dual band router
Bought because the supplied one slowed down when DS was on xbox
I was having trouble with broadband and rang orange
they took me into the admin page (waste of time it turned out the whole area was having trouble)
When they finished the admin page said an update was available for my router and did I want to install
I clicked yes but half way through our connection was lost and my router has not worked since
The power button flashes red and green
I am using the router that was supplied by orange now but as I paid £100 for that one I would like to be using it

roadwalker Sun 19-Jan-14 12:05:49

any geeks about?

QueenOfGeeks Sun 19-Jan-14 13:26:20

Did it say if it was a software update or firmware update you were trying to apply?

Does the manual say anything about what it means when the light flashes green/red? If not it may be worth checking the netgear support website.

Unfortunately if it was a firmware upgrade it is possible it's bricked but I think that probably only netgear will really be able to help at this point.

roadwalker Sun 19-Jan-14 14:43:30

it was firmware- thanks

prh47bridge Sun 19-Jan-14 23:17:57

Depends on the model but you may be able to sort it out by:

- use the Orange router to download the firmware for the Netgear router onto a PC or laptop

- use an Ethernet cable to connect the PC or laptop directly to the router

- browse to your router (probably http://192.168.0.1 but check the manual if you've still got it. If not you should be able to find the manual online but you will need the model number). You will have to login

- if you get this far you should be able to sort it out by finding the upgrade feature in the menu ("router upgrade" is common), browsing to the firmware file you downloaded and clicking "Upload" or similar

If you can't browse to your router when plugged in with an Ethernet cable it probably has been bricked.

roadwalker Mon 20-Jan-14 08:04:22

I feel very ignorant but what does bricked mean?

prh47bridge Mon 20-Jan-14 11:36:53

Bricked means it has been made as useless (in computer terms) as a brick. In that situation only Netgear would be able to help, and even then the costs may be such that it would be cheaper to buy a new router.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now