Which macbook? And transferring from old to new machine?

(14 Posts)
LonelyGoatherd Fri 03-Jan-14 18:12:44

My 6-year-old macbook is getting sluggish and cumbersome. I use it for work and play, so need a better one. Considered a PC to economise, but think it's true that once you mac, you can't go back!

Have no idea whether to go for Air or Pro. I do a LOT of Word processing (office for mac), Adobe editing, a tiny bit of spreadsheets, music and photos.

And will the genius bar be able to transfer my software, photos and music without losing everything?

Yes genius bar will do all that, or it's easy enough to do yourself. Personally I'd go for a Pro but I still use the dvd drive a lot. But apart from phones and iPads my Macbook is my only 'proper' computer so I like it being a bit more substantial.

RustyBear Fri 03-Jan-14 18:28:58

Only the old non-retina 13" MacBook Pro has a DVD drive now - the new retina display MacBook Pros don't.

LonelyGoatherd Fri 03-Jan-14 18:30:52

Ah, one of the things I do for work is check DVDs. Do I dare suss out some PCs?

ThistledownAndCobweb Sat 04-Jan-14 12:44:41

The non retina pro is £999 and has a DVD drive. The pro retina doesn't (and is a bit more expensive) but you can get a DVD drive that you plug in when you want to use it.

I use both types and have to say the retina is a thing of beauty.

When you set up a new mac it gives you the option of transferring stuff across from an existing mac.

LonelyGoatherd Sat 04-Jan-14 18:06:30

Thanks thistle. Pretty much decided on the non-retina pro.

ThistledownAndCobweb Sat 04-Jan-14 18:28:11

It's a lovely machine as well. You'll enjoy using it - if you are involved in education (or have a child) you can buy it via the apple education site and I think it about £939

LonelyGoatherd Sat 04-Jan-14 18:59:36

Ah, will take a look (that's how I got my current macbook, but am no longer in Education).

Southeastdweller Mon 06-Jan-14 06:43:39

The new Pro Retina display model is a kilo lighter than the one with the disc drive so I'd get that. You can always buy a separate disc drive.

Don't forget that often you can buy a refurbished Mac from Apple to shave off a little of the cost compared to a brand new model.

trashcansinatra Mon 06-Jan-14 11:30:14

Check other ways to get a discount too. My employer uses Edenred childcare vouchers, and that allows an employer discount too of 6-8% on MacBook Pro and Air. You get to it through the 'discounted shopping' link once logged in.

LonelyGoatherd Mon 06-Jan-14 13:25:39

Great - we do use Edenred, so will get through them.

I may be really stupid or need to spend more time comparing in-store without toddlers kicking off, but I don't see the difference between retina and non-retina versions. The graphics look the same. I'm really short-sighted - could this be why?!?!

ThistledownAndCobweb Mon 06-Jan-14 17:53:49

I'm short sighted but I can see a difference, although the graphics are still fine on the non-retina - when I move from one machine to another I really notice it.
The difference in weight is also surprising - I've been using a non-retina all day and I've just picked up the retina to use and it seems light as a feather.

Either way, you'll enjoy using it

Southeastdweller Mon 06-Jan-14 21:13:45

I'm also short-sighted yet can see a difference.

Have a look here:

www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/features-retina/

LonelyGoatherd Tue 07-Jan-14 06:46:01

Will compare the two properly in a child-free moment... Plan to buy in next tax year, so have a bit of time.
Thanks so much for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now