iPhone 5/ whatsApp - can you take a picture then "send via WhatsApp" like I could on my blackberry without having to exit photos/ go to WhatsApp

(16 Posts)
ZaZazebra Sun 01-Dec-13 07:27:43

I've recently swapped my blackberry for an iPhone 5. On the Blackberry when I took a picture I used to be able to scroll to " send via ...WhatsApp/ email/ bbm" etc ... And voila.

On my Iphone, it seems that to send a photo via What's app I either need to start in WhatsApp itself and click on "take a photo" or else if I am just taking a photo normally I need to exit the camera, open WhatsApp, find a contact click on "insert photo" etc...

Am I missing something ? I'd like to be able to take a photo and send via WhatsApp straight away.

TIA.

No. It's bloody annoying.

ZaZazebra Sun 01-Dec-13 07:41:29

Well thanks for clarifying anyway yes it is really annoying! iPhone seems to be better than my blackberry in so many ways can't believe you can't do this though. Thanks !

gingganggooly Sun 01-Dec-13 07:46:51

you kind of can if you go into wassapp and click on take photo, take the picture and send then it stores in your library too

willowash Sun 01-Dec-13 23:46:47

You can send pics that are already on your phone, when you touch the little grey arrow next to the box you type in , it says send existing photo or something like that. U can send video's bow too

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 01-Dec-13 23:52:15

When you've taken the photo, it shrinks to the little box on the corner. When you touch that it brings the I tire you've just taken back up. Then you'll see a little box with an arrow on top. When you touch that it brings up a menu of ways to send the photo, including print etc. It doesn't say whatsapp but there might be a way of adding it in settings.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 01-Dec-13 23:53:18

Picture, not I tire. I swear I pressed preview not post.

<<tired fat fingers>>

What others have said - you can send any pic/s already in your phone by clicking on the up arrow link on the L of the message box in whatsapp

Is that too difficult? wink

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 02-Dec-13 00:01:07

No NicestSmile I think the op means she wants to send the picture straight from the camera app. Not to have to close it down, open Whatsapp and then send it.

I never had a Blackberry - my old phone took photos, but I had to connect it to the computer with a USB cable, download pics, & then muck about with file folders, just to upload the pics to eg Facebook or attach to an emil

Now I have an iPhone (3 grin), moving from camera app to whatsapp in order to transmit a photo is a total doddle in comparison! It must take all of 2 seconds & I always want to write a message anyway.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 02-Dec-13 00:48:05

Well yes I have to agree with you there. smile

ZaZazebra Mon 02-Dec-13 05:31:00

Hi all thanks for your replies yes I just want to send it straight from the camera app ( without having to take it in WhatsApp in the first place). Seems you can do this on bb not on iPhone. Thanks anyway ( obviously the world does not end because I have to shut down the camera app, switch to WhatsApp, click on the grey arrow, locate the photo) but I was just looking to see if like ilovemydogs suggested I could add WhatsApp in the settings to the options for sending a photo directly (ie current options are message/email/Facebook/twitter/flickr etc).

12thmonkey Mon 02-Dec-13 12:40:05

whatsapp is sandboxed so there is no chance of being able to access from native iOS apps. Apple have an arrangement with Yahoo & facebook to allow access to iOS which is why you can use twitter and flickr etc...

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 02-Dec-13 13:36:33

Well that's a bit shit. hmm I never use it anyway. I don't know anyone that does. I just use the straightforward text which you can access straight from your photo.

can't use whatsapp on an ipad either, only on the phone

but I do love it for eg instant easy group chats with the kids (one of whom is in the US)

(forgot FREE!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now