Raspberry pi

(4 Posts)
Llanbobl Fri 29-Nov-13 13:26:02

Daft question number 1 do I need a key board for it? Can I "plug" it in to a laptop to use it's monitor?

Daft question number 2 - can you use SQL to program?

Any help or advice very gratefully received grin

Ferguson Fri 29-Nov-13 19:16:10

Hi -

There have been several Pi 'threads' on MN Primary and Secondary Education in recent weeks which you should be able to find.

Yes - you do need a keyboard, and a monitor or TV set. I'm not sure about connecting to a laptop for a monitor. The Pi website has FAQs and Forums, and there are 'User Groups' throughout the country.

Pi uses Linux, so I didn't know about SQL, but I just looked it up for you and found this : www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Raspberry-Pi-Web-Server

I guess there must be on-line Pi enthusiast groups, if you look for them.

friday16 Fri 29-Nov-13 20:43:42

Q1. Depending on what you're using it for, you can just log into it over the net from a laptop. But doing the initial set up will be very difficult (probably impossible if Unix administration isn't your thing) without a keyboard and a monitor.

Q2. You can install mysql or some other database package.

Llanbobl Sat 30-Nov-13 13:31:29

Thank you both. Very helpful. It's not my thing at all, but I know someone it is! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now