Kindle Fire HD?

(9 Posts)
BobandBenway Thu 21-Nov-13 14:34:37

Sorry, only just discovered this topic, and I originally posted this in Chat!

Just seen that Amazon have last year's Kindle Fire HD on offer for £99, and I was thinking of getting one for myself, but am looking for opinions first!

I currently use my phone when in bed/feeding the baby, to browse the internet, watch iPlayer and watch downloaded TV progs etc, but really the screen is too small to make this comfortable. Would the Kindle Fire be a good alternative?

I know you are tied in to Amazon's system to an extent, and there is no Google Play store access, but I really don't use any apps or play games. I like the idea I could use it to read books as well (though aware it isn't an e-ink display so might not be too comfortable for too long), and also download magazines.

I know it comes tied to LoveFilm, but would I be able to access Netflix on it? What about ahem, downloaded TV programmes - can I copy them across to the kindle like I do with my phone (basically using it as an external drive)?

What do you think? Seems a good deal for £99, but please tell me if I'm missing something!

GoldiChops Fri 22-Nov-13 20:21:34

I was torn between the kindle fire and the iPad mini. I looked at a million reviews before deciding on the iPad, which I got last week. I just saw so many bad reviews for the kindle! It had to be one of those for me though, as I really wanted to access lovefilm and only those two have it. Otherwise I would have gone for a hudl from tesco, using club card vouchers would have made it about £60! That has good reviews.

I love my little iPad now... But of course, knowing me, I bought it a week before it went down in price! Bugger.

BobandBenway Sat 23-Nov-13 12:06:02

Thanks for the reply!

iPad mini too expensive though - I was only thinking of this because it seemed a good deal, for casual internet browsing & watching TV in bed! Never thought about the Hudl though (I have to admit I was put off by the stupid name!). I've used all my Tesco vouchers so this would be more expensive than the kindle.

Anyone have any opinion of the 2 for my needs? I see you can use a memory card with the Hudl - is that correct? I have to say, I don't think I mind now that I think about it, being tied to Amazon - I have a lot of books, audiobooks, music etc purchased through them already. I suppose the only thing that holds me back from buying the Kindle Fire is knowing if I can transfer over downloaded files - anyone know?

Thanks smile

NewName123 Mon 02-Dec-13 16:21:12

I've just bought the Kindle Fire HD from Amazon for DS for Xmas. Don't know what to expect really, didn't want to spend as much as an I-pad costs.,

PuhpullPlaylow Mon 02-Dec-13 16:24:29

I got dd1(13) a kindle fire had last Christmas and she absolutely loves it, so much so that I am going to get her little sister one this year ��

gamerchick Mon 02-Dec-13 16:27:14

I got one for Christmas last year.. 6 weeks ago the tilt went so it's stuck sideways and irritating for reading angry

PuhpullPlaylow Mon 02-Dec-13 16:33:58

Gamer chick, if you got it from amazon I would give them a phone, they may replace it or fix it for you, certainly worth a try ��

gamerchick Mon 02-Dec-13 16:37:38

I'm hoping they will.. apparently they're pretty good. I just need to figure out how to delete some of the books if they want me to send it back.

NewName123 Mon 02-Dec-13 16:53:01

the kindle fire is a tablet right not an e reader?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now