Educational iPad apps for a 5 year old?

(15 Posts)
DTisMYdoctor Mon 18-Nov-13 22:12:06

DS has fairly restricted access to my iPad and he's recently enjoyed playing a maths app for 4-6 year olds.

He's grown out of most of the toddler apps I had on it, so wondered if anyone could recommend any other new apps. I'll have a good search in the App Store, but it would be good to hear of any recommendations.

kilmuir Mon 18-Nov-13 22:14:44

Hairy letters, pocket phonics

DTisMYdoctor Mon 18-Nov-13 22:38:29

Thanks. We do have both of those.

Sam100 Mon 18-Nov-13 22:59:03

Mind snacks for language games. DS age 7 has been playing on the French one for about a year and has also had a go at mandarin!

MonstersBalls Mon 18-Nov-13 23:07:08

My 6 year old has got -

Toca Builders
Geared HD
Scribble my story
Woodchuck

Ds also likes Daisy the Dinosaur which is a basic computer coding app.

Tbh at this age he's discovered games like Temple Run and Superhero Dentist hmm so he although he plays the more educational ones he prefers the games.

mydaftlass Mon 18-Nov-13 23:08:45

Squeebles
Agnitus
Leo's pad (we all love this!)
Barefoot world atlas
Human body app (Tinybop)

DTisMYdoctor Mon 18-Nov-13 23:09:36

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I'm not averse to him playing fun games, but as he seems to really enjoy the maths app I thought I'd try and find some more educational apps too grin

mydaftlass Mon 18-Nov-13 23:11:06

Oh, forgot Hungry Fish - another maths one and popular with DD 6y

OldRoan Mon 18-Nov-13 23:14:54

Try the BeeBot one - he'll probably have come across them in school (or will do soon) but this is a little cartoon one you can direct around. I used it on a placement to demonstrate something and the children asked if they could spend the lesson "waiting for a turn".

MusicSparkle is good (but noisy...). GlowColouring is super. Not educational per se, but of great educational benefit in terms of creativity.

Math drills lite might be a bit much now, but good for when he is needing to practise quick recall of number bonds.

DTisMYdoctor Tue 19-Nov-13 00:08:29

Great, thanks for all the suggestions!

twofalls Thu 28-Nov-13 10:18:32

PeppermintScreams Fri 29-Nov-13 21:19:07

Ooh I've downloaded a few of these. Thanks.

Glittertwins Sat 07-Dec-13 13:51:55

Daisy Dinosaur has gone down well here today, thanks for the suggestion.

gordonpym Wed 18-Dec-13 18:11:07

Dragonbox is by far my favorite. An amazing app that teaches algebra to 5 y old. It's not free but less than a fiver.

millsdev Thu 13-Feb-14 14:47:10

My 5 year old started spellings last term. I had trouble getting him to do them. I tried to find an app that would allow me to put in the school spellings and play a game. I couldn't find one, so I wrote one. It is called 'Spelling Hangman' and is available on the App Store (SM). He uses it every day and it has really helped his spellings. Nice to know my brain still works too after 5 years of pure childcare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now