W8, Firefox, best popup blocker?

(5 Posts)
Jux Tue 12-Nov-13 18:33:49

Also ad blockers etc!

Bro has given me his 'spare' laptop, running W8. It is so slow I can hardly bear to use it, due to unwanted scripts running and popups and general junk.

I can't find the popup blocker I used on my W7 machine - I can't actually remember what it was called anyway, but none of them look or sound familiar. I've got AdBlock in what ever incarnation it's in now, which has helped.

I am beset by rubbish clogging things up which I've never seen before - a load of ad spaces in between threads on I'm On for instance. Scrolling a thread is almost impossible as it is slowed down by heaven knows what.

How on earth do I get back to my peaceful, ad-free existence?

Reinstall W8 from scratch, if you can.

If not, run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Jux Tue 12-Nov-13 21:36:27

I'd forgotten about those two! Of course, I've had them on every machine since before XP!

Thanks. (Can't reinstall.)

Chanatan Tue 12-Nov-13 22:06:13

might be worth running ccleaneras well.
If its really slow,try using opera for browsing,uses far less memory than Firefox,also popups should be blocked by browser.

Jux Thu 14-Nov-13 13:47:52

Thank you. I've done it all, and it's much better. MN is usable again, my life is complete wink

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now