Speak to me in words of one syllable please

(12 Posts)
Nishky Sat 09-Nov-13 07:19:20

I have an iPhone and iPad- my phone contract is up soon and is pricey

If i did not renew and bought a cheap phone for calls and texts, I could use my iPhone like an iPod? Am I right. I don't want to lose the banking and calendar apps that link to iPad as I update them on the move.

So with no contract I could still do that and then the phone would hook onto wifi when I get home and sync those apps as now. I am right aren't i?

Yours technologically challenged

SmallMechanicalBrain Sat 09-Nov-13 07:23:43

Yes I think that would work.
If you're connected to wifi, you could send iMessages as well.

ConfusedDotty Sat 09-Nov-13 07:34:44

You could change to sim only with your old provider and still use your iPhone. I did this with mine, I love my 4s and didn't want to upgrade. I pay under £10 a month and still get minutes and texts included.

BananaramaLlama Sat 09-Nov-13 07:39:43

Giff gaff - you can get iPhone sim & then 250mins calls, unlimited texts & 1GB data for £10 / month - called a goodybag.

SoupDragon Sat 09-Nov-13 07:52:33

Why would you get a cheap phone when you have a "spare" iPhone? As ConfusedDotty said, get a SIM only contract.

Nishky Sat 09-Nov-13 08:00:27

With Giff Gaff would I have to change my number? That does seem a stunningly good value!

FigEater Sat 09-Nov-13 08:02:19

No you can get it transferred

FigEater Sat 09-Nov-13 08:04:19

If its an iPhone 4 or higher you need a micro sim, giff gaff will send you a pre cut one. You might need iPhone unlocking but whoever the contract is with should do it for free once the contract is up. They can do it over the phone but it takes a few days.

BearPear Sat 09-Nov-13 08:06:34

I too am on a sim-only deal with Tesco for my iPhone, £10 a month, 300 minutes, 3000 texts and 1gb browsing (this offer comes & goes, I have paid £12 for same in the past and seen it at £15 too). Tesco use the O2 network.

You can keep your number if you move to another provider, you just need a PAC code from the supplier you are leaving. As for Gif Gaf, they use the 3 network which can be a bit patchy and their customer service is via email only, something a colleague only realised when she started to have a problem with the service.

The thing to remember if you move networks is that you need a micro-sim for an iPhone, not a regular sim.

RustyBear Sat 09-Nov-13 08:12:33

I still have my iPhone 4 - I kept it when I got my iPhone 5, (DD and DS, the usual destinations for my older tech, both having just got new phones). I just transferred the number to my new phone and now use the old one as an iPod touch - means I can still use the car and radio/speaker docks which have the old connector. I just have my music and audiobooks on it, and a couple of games, but it still connects to wifi and to the new phone and iPad - for example, I can see the icloud tabs that are open on both the new phone and the iPad when I go into Safari.

So what you want to do should certainly work if that's really what you want, but like the other posters, I'd suggest getting a sim only and a deal like the giffgaff one.

FigEater Sat 09-Nov-13 09:59:28

No giff gaff is on O2. And if its O2 you're on at the moment the phone doesn't need unlocking. But you will still need code to transfer number.

Kindabelinda Sat 09-Nov-13 10:22:00

How about PO. They have SIM NLT deals that sound great value.

http://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/pay-monthly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now