Exporting contacts between aol and windows live mail

(8 Posts)

Pulling my hair out.

I have finally decided to retire my 15 year old shock aol account and start using the windows live client. Nice interface - clean/easy etc.

I have exported my old aol contacts as a CSV file and followed the instruction for uploading a CSV contact file and whilst I don't get an error message and am told that my contacts have finished importing - none are actually transferring to my new live account.

As WIndows Live tells you that it can import from Outlook/Hotmail etc (but not AOL), I am guessing that the CSV file needs to be tweaked in some way? But I have no idea how/what to do.

Have tried other geeky forums but not getting anywhere so back to trusty MN in the hope that a lovely MN Geek can help??

Talkinpeace Sat 09-Nov-13 14:56:06

when we stopped using AOL, because we needed to keep all of the old messages and everything (self employed) we bought a piece of software
that did the conversion for us straight into thunderbird

Thanks Talkin - do you know what it was called? I don't know what thunderbird is either.

Oh god, I'm useless

Talkinpeace Mon 11-Nov-13 11:40:40

which email software will you be using?
I use Mozilla thunderbird as it lets me manage all 11 email accounts in one place
if you then put "convert AOL email to .... " into a search engine you should find options that will work

ok going to give it try right now - thank you MN Geek x

Talkinpeace Mon 11-Nov-13 18:36:42

do post which software you find that works as I did it years ago and there will be others in the same boat as you ....

update is - I haven't been able to make that work yet. Still trawling....

Talkinpeace Wed 13-Nov-13 17:32:39

We used an old version of this .... (checked my accounts records)
it looks like it still works and the pag ewas actually last updated last year (the date at the bottom is a javascript - very clever)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now