Nexus 5

(23 Posts)
calamitygin Wed 30-Oct-13 20:50:51

hanging on for the Nexus 5 which is coming any day now (yeah yeah) and suddenly realised that I have no idea where to buy it from! There have been rumours that it's been seen on a Carphone warehouse inventory but other than that I can't find any info on where I might be able to buy it. the Nexus 4 sold out very quickly so I want to get to a shop that will definitely stocking it but how do I find it. Could buy it on google play but wondering if it will sell out within minutes like the nexus 4 did.

I am total buying novice, my current smartphone is a hand me down and prior to that I bought cheap pay as you go.

help and advice please smile

WithaPickleOnTop Wed 30-Oct-13 22:31:14

Wasn't the nexus 4 only available in the play store?
I'm waiting too.

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 13:21:17

really? wow! getting so fed up of waiting and my current phone is a bit buggered after dropping it multiple times. I guess I just have to keep my eye out and hope for the best!

mirtzapine Thu 31-Oct-13 13:33:39

Before you dive into a Nexus 5; here are some considerations.

Google now owns Motorola as it hardware arm, the Nexus will be manufacture by a partner LG... LG doesn't want to cannibalise its own market for, in effect a competitor, it's own high-end model will be better spec'd (that's what happened with the Nexus 4).

Nexus is no longer a reference hardware platform all it is now is just a platform for the stock OS.

Try Clove.co.uk on or near the release date which I think is supposed to the 11/11 in the US not so sure as to the UK, probably a month after.

mirtzapine Thu 31-Oct-13 18:53:02

got that wrong it went live today in the US

bundaberg Thu 31-Oct-13 18:56:18

bonus buying from google is that it's totally unlocked
i did that with my nexus 4 and then got a cheap sim only deal from 3 (£12.90 a month)....

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 20:22:13

just placed my order at google - but now I have to wait because "it's taking a little longer to process your order and could take up to 15 minutes" !!!! they better have enough in stock hurumph!

anyone else reading this you can also order now from Carphone Warhouse

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 20:26:18

yes I have a gifgaf sim ready and waiting to go - anyone know off hand how to keep my old number?

bundaberg Thu 31-Oct-13 20:39:55

aww but look it doesn't have the sparkly back like the 4 does :P

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 20:42:28

aha but I have ordered in sleek white so who needs sparkle? CHRIST! I hope it doesn't sell out, still waiting for my confirmation email, it's been over 15 minutes. Arrggghhh!

bundaberg Thu 31-Oct-13 20:44:41

nooo don't order white, everyone will think you wanted an iphone wink

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 21:03:05

I don't geddit! channeling my inner 70s disco catsuit diva.

er WTF! no email - worrying now and think maybe I shouldagone to Carphone Warehouse.

calamitygin Thu 31-Oct-13 21:31:27

ok campers Panic Over, just had my confirmation email from googleplay - get it! ... just have to wait a week for it to arrive now

<taps foot>

Theas18 Fri 01-Nov-13 18:56:17

Great news! Enjoy and let us all know what you think.. It's on my list of possibles next year when my note 1 hits 2yrs old..

calamitygin Sat 02-Nov-13 11:22:41

well after having a hand-me-down iphone for the past year that was so old I couldn't download any apps etc I should think I will be frothing at the mouth at this one ...now! need a protective case ...

Daisybell1 Thu 07-Nov-13 07:37:44

Has it arrived? I'm taken with this one but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet...

tribpot Thu 07-Nov-13 07:44:31

I'm assuming it must have done; I ordered mine on Thursday last week and it arrived on Tuesday.

Daisybell1 Thu 07-Nov-13 13:32:01

Do you like it Tribpot?

tribpot Thu 07-Nov-13 16:49:22

Yes! I had a 2.5 year old iPhone 4 and it was really on its arse, which given the cost of it was not pleasing to me. I very nearly went for a Nexus 4 when they were discounted to get rid of the remaining stock a couple of months ago, but missed the boat and decided to wait for the Nexus 5.

I already had an Android tablet, so setting everything up was a doddle. The phone is super light and responsive. So far the battery life isn't brilliant but I'm expecting this to improve.

In fact the main bug bear, which I'd somehow missed despite already having the Android device, is that you don't get application badges on Android like you do on iOS (how many emails/missed calls/Whatsapp messages etc). I have managed to get this sorted out now and it gave me insight into just how much more flexible Android is than iOS.

Two thumbs up!

Daisybell1 Thu 07-Nov-13 18:10:32

Ooh that sounds promising. I'm torn between getting it on a contract or buying it outright. I'd also quite like the 32gb one, but I haven't seen that on contract anywhere....

tribpot Thu 07-Nov-13 18:18:10

I didn't even know you could buy it on contract. I certainly wouldn't. You can get the 32gb direct from the Play store.

Daisybell1 Thu 07-Nov-13 21:58:10

Carphonewarehouse have it on contract pretty cheap (cheaper than buying off play store and a monthly sim) but just the 16gb.

Hmm will need to think...

calamitygin Mon 11-Nov-13 12:07:35

yes - it's WONDERFUL! I'm still trying to work everything out but loving it.

tribpot what is an application badge (I'm so out of touch)? Also is there any way to close stuff down?? Everything "seems" to stay open e.g. if I've been on Twitter, gmail and chrome they all appear "open" when I click on the button on the bottom right that looks like a page overlaying a page. Husband says this is just showing you what you were last on but I'm dubious because you can see all my tweets and emails, surely I should be able to "close" things down so that if someone picked up my phone they wouldn't be able to read my stuff (told you I was out of touch!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now