New PC, Argos still selling with Windows 7.

(8 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Thu 17-Oct-13 19:33:18

I have heard so many bad things about Windows 8. I am looking for a new desktop or laptop and Argos are still selling some of their desktops with Windows 7. Should I go for that or is that limited thinking as Windows 8 is here to stay and I should just get on with it?

Also I would mostly be playing games on it but I am not a "gamer". Will use for other things too, studying, storing photos etc and that's about it so would I be better off with a desktop? Will a lap top run games well?

Many thanks.

I don't think there's much reason to move to Windows 8.

I'm pretty sure there are still systems around with Windows 7 and a Windows 8 disk included. That strikes me as a sensible compromise.

BerstieSpotts Thu 17-Oct-13 20:28:06

Which games do you play? It might be worth googling how well they run on Windows 8 because some of them don't, especially older games. New games will be no problem at all.

Aside from that I would just go with it - it isn't that hard to get used to, people just don't like it because it's different. There's nothing wrong with it technical wise.

Sparklysilversequins Thu 17-Oct-13 21:08:52

I play The Sims 2 & 3 mainly blush sad I know but I love it and I am a lone parent so need something to keep me occupied after dc have gone to bed.

Kafri Tue 29-Oct-13 21:57:17

Just check out the graphics card on your choice of laptop. Ideally for games you would need a dedicated graphics card as opposed to a shared graphics card.

Be careful not to get ripped off by a smarmy sales man trying to sell you a gaming machine just cos he hears the word game. You won't need a full spec gamer unless you're wanting to play all the graphics greedy new games - COD, Medal of Honor etc.

There are plenty of lower spec laptops ie not full spec gamers which will have a dedicated GC capable of running sims.

BerstieSpotts Wed 30-Oct-13 07:32:56

Haha! Same here grin For sims 2 you want 7 without a doubt. Plus both sims games tend to make a laptop overheat, you will have to prop it up on some books or DVD cases to make sure it's ventilated.

But yes - Windows 8 is still doing funny things with Sims 2 and I also refuse to upgrade until someone cleverer than me on the sims forums figures it out.

flatpackhamster Wed 30-Oct-13 19:43:30

Win8 does run faster than Win7, especially on slower hardware. If you want Win8 but want it to look like Win7, you can download and install (and pay £2 for) a program called StartIsBack.

If you're looking for a Win7 laptop, take a look at Misco.co.uk too. Plenty of them there.

BerstieSpotts Wed 30-Oct-13 21:55:24

Er, there are loads of free programs which will give you a start button in Windows 8. Not that £2 is a fortune but no need to pay if you don't want to smile

Hardware wise yes it is preferable, but if you're stubbornly clinging onto ten year old software <hides sims 1 cases> then sometimes you need to put off upgrading until it's been cleared by people who know how.

For future reference OP this site is very very good for both Sims 2 and Sims 3 related hardware/software questions:

www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:System_Requirements/MTS2_Recommendations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now