I want to downgrade my phone!

(15 Posts)
Nishky England Mon 14-Oct-13 22:12:23

Thank you all. I am going to take your advice and have sim only on existing phone and save myself over £20 per month

Theas18 Mon 14-Oct-13 10:06:48

Cheapest of all is ovivo

ovivomobile.com/

If their basic phone deal is enough for you it rally is free at the penalty of watching a few ads every so often when using data.

Don't take on a new contract. You have a working phone. Get it unlocked and ovivo or giffgaff it.

(me I use the giffgaff £10 bundle a month). However I've just got an ovivio SIM for my ipad ad so far so good...

I homestly thought ovivo were a scam but it's been going a year now and seems fine.

If you would like a referral link for either Giffgaff or ovivo PM me as this gets you and be a bit of a freebie but go straight to the site if you'd prefer.

iphone 5 on Giffgaff here.
I use about £5-£10 a month because I'm not a heavy user and most people I call are Giffgaff too so it's free.

DP has an iPhone 4 on GG and pays £12 a month for 250 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

AnotherWorld Mon 14-Oct-13 09:44:07

I own my iphone 4S and have a SIM only contract with Vodafone for £15 a month with 1GB of data.

Also owned iPad has a £7.50 a month SIM only contract with EE.

Just talk to your carrier and ask for a cheaper contract with no upgrade.

I probably wouldn't go PAYG with an iphone as I imagine you'll use a lot of data, but if you aren't upgrading the phone you should be able to knock at least £20 per month off your contract, maybe a lot more.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Oct-13 19:41:59

Not nowadays. I inherited OH's S2 and used my Orange SIM card in it straight away without any problem. OH is with O2. Perhaps it is an Apple thing?

difficultpickle Sun 13-Oct-13 19:40:21

Usually the phone locks to the sim that is first used which means if the OP wants to move networks she will need to get it unlocked.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Oct-13 19:39:37

I thought all phones came unlocked these days. I haven't had to unlock a phone.

difficultpickle Sun 13-Oct-13 17:54:42

I have an iphone 4S and a giffgaff sim. I was with O2 so didn't need the phone to be unlocked (giffgaff works on O2 network). I kept my number too. They are very cheap but pretty good. I have 250 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £12 a month but they do cheaper packages - ds has 200 mins, unlimited texts and 250mb data for £7.50. Calls between giffgaff sims are completely free too.

PoppyWearer Sun 13-Oct-13 17:52:05

If you like your calendar and reminders...fgs don't upgrade to IOS 7! I can't make either the calendar or the reminders work the way they did before. And I'm not a tech dinosaur.

ParkerTheThief Sun 13-Oct-13 17:50:15

You can order an iPhone sim from somewhere like giffgaff.

You'll need to have your iPhone unlocked by your current provider and if you want t keep your number you'll need to request a PAC

Nishky England Sun 13-Oct-13 11:57:09

I had thought about sim only, but I thought iPhones had a specific sim, so if phone breaks I would then have to buy a new iPhone to use that sim- or am I wrong?

That may be way to go though,thanks

chipsandpeas Sun 13-Oct-13 11:53:49

look for sim only deals and just keeep your 4s

Bunbaker Sun 13-Oct-13 11:53:48

Why not buy a reconditioned phone?

OH bought a reconditioned Samsung Galaxy S2 last year from Tesco. He now has an S3 and has given me the S2. It is brilliant. You can then buy a SIM card of your choice. Currently Giff Gaff have really good deals. They also are highly rated by the techie magazines and reportedly have better customer service than some of the bigger boys. Giff Gaff are a virtual network that use O2 BTW.

Nishky England Sun 13-Oct-13 11:50:56

As part of an economy drive I want a cheaper deal on my phone- contract is nearly up. Have an iPhone 4S. I also have an ipad which, so have decided I only need a basic phone. BUT I would like a pretty decent camera and I like my calendar and reminder/tasks in iPhone.

I want to pay a lot less - anyone able to advise on what phone to go for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now