Raspberry Pi

(7 Posts)

Does anyone have one of these? I'm thinking of buying one for family use as we are all a bit geeky.

DS is in year 1 so any suggestions for stuff we can do with him, or for entertaining him would be good as well.

What other kit did you buy?

HenriettaPye Thu 03-Oct-13 14:15:12

What exactly is it? DH is a bit of a geek and loves computers and gadgets so thinking this May be ideal for Christmas?

12thmonkey Thu 03-Oct-13 15:34:45

i have one, you would need a keyboard and a monitor to use it as its just the board with chips on. I got the first incarnation a couple of years ago, its been updated since.

visit he official site for things to do with the kids. If you want to raise a programmer this is a fantastic start and there are links to various games that can be made using it.

12thmonkey Thu 03-Oct-13 15:34:55

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

It's a mini computer that you can use for programming etc. The reviews say you can do lots with it but don't say what! It's the size of a phone and you plug it in to your tv, and plug a keyboard and mouse in to the USB ports. It also connects to the internet with a network cable or you can buy a wireless dongle.

oscartopia Sat 19-Oct-13 12:47:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

We got an SD card for ours, it allows the DCs to save their work.
They mostly write simple programs on Scratch, or do command line programming. We've plugged ours into a HDMI socket on the TV, and use the keyboard from the computer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now