moving to macbook from normal laptop for very untechy dh who doesn't even understand facebook?

(11 Posts)
overthemill Sun 29-Sep-13 12:53:09

wwyd? my dh needs a laptop for his sole use because he always mnopolises the family one when he gets home from work so that he can write plays and music. He would like to macbook pro because his friend (who is loaded) has one and suggested that it's much better for using sibelius (?) on. Now a macbook pro will set us back £1000 minimum which I now we can split over 2 years and I understand from looking on here that they are reliable and much loved.

BUT dh is seriously untechy. He is useless switching between outlook and gmail for example. He hates it when I update software and it looks different or it changes the way it interacts with him. He can never log out of facebook (which he hates but just uses for telling people about shows etc) and drives me and our teenagers insane not understanding how stuff works (like the remote control on our 3 year old TV).

He wants something that will work the minute he unpacks it, will do what he wants without any hassle and be entirely easy. He can barely cope with the fact that our laptop keyboard is set out differently from his work Dell one. I think a macbook sounds like it would be good but maybe not for him? I think I've made him sound a bit sad but he is seriously not technical, very academic and talented in many other ways, but not with modern technology (he would really rather use pen and ink or a typewriter...)

That's a tough one! Apple make the best kit especially where video and audio production is required.

However, it is all a bit of a sea change from Dell/Windows. He will find some frustrations no doubt. Perhaps it's worth him going to an Apple store and sitting in on some of the public lectures they do on various aspects of working with Macs. I'm pretty sure they do sessions on GarageBand and maybe they would have other sessions that would give him a taste of it before shelling out the money.

mikkii Sun 29-Sep-13 18:11:26

Actually you coud be describing my DH. He went for a Mac against my advice as I know nothing's bout them, but 2 of his cousins raved about them.

He found it really intuitive, whereas I, knowing windows fairly well, find it counter intuitive. I have steadfastly refused to go Mac all the way, using the excuse that the kids need windows for school.

tribpot Sun 29-Sep-13 18:17:46

I honestly wouldn't get him one. There are loads of minor differences between Mac and Windows - mostly I find these positive but if he can't cope with Outlook vs Gmail I just don't think he's going to get on with a Macbook. Then you've shelled out for an expensive laptop that he can barely use or, worse, insists on installing Windows on smile

I agree, he should go to some of the free classes at the Apple store, and have a play around on his loaded mate's Macbook before making a final decision. If he's going to have to deal with Windows 8 at some point as well, it might be best not to overload him with new operating systems.

niceguy2 Mon 30-Sep-13 14:25:00

Actually I'd say so long as he's willing to put a few hours into changing his mindset from using Windows then the mac sounds exactly what he needs.

Mac's are very good at JFDI without fussing around.

southeastdweller Mon 30-Sep-13 21:10:14

What's his history with Apple gadgets? If it's none as I suspect then he needs some classes as recommended here, or he needs to use his friends MacBook.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 30-Sep-13 23:07:27

Don't do it. I switched from PC to Macbook and regret it. If you're used to one, the other does not seem intuitive. A year later and I still don't get why Macbooks are so popular.

Sounds like you might have someone willing to sell their MacBook for a bargain price (Xmasbaby11) wink

overthemill Wed 02-Oct-13 15:59:07

He's changed jobs recently and was given an iPhone5. A painful experience for the whole family...

12thmonkey Thu 03-Oct-13 10:42:14

It strikes me as odd that someone who seems to be so useless at using computers would want one to use something that is as fairly complicated as Sibelius.. Struggling with a TV remote..really ??

Macbooks are far superior machines and will work out of the box, no issues. But who would install the software ? If he can't even log out of facebook how will he go through an installation process.

I would take him to an Apple store and make him have a proper play with a mac. Make sure he can do the most basic of things first. If he's academically achieved its going to be an un-willingness to adapt thats holding him back.

Or just go cheap, get a legal pad, pencil, eraser , sharpener smile

overthemill Thu 03-Oct-13 12:13:35

either I or the kids install any software that is needed on any machinery. I programme phones with tel numbers for example, or programme thermostat for central heating. I also am theeperson who knows how to work the dvd player. As for remote: he cannot, genuinely cannot, programme anything on TV like a recording etc. all he can do is press record while watching the programme. He is useless. sibelius is the programme recommended by mates for recording music etc. we did have something some years ago cant remember what it was and it cost a great deal of money and he used it maybe twice - before kids were old enough to be techy.

he writes music and plays music. he wants to be able to use a programme for doing it so he can send digital files to his most frequent collaborator. at the moment his mate has it and uses it. my dh wants to be able to link his electronic keyboard to laptop and do something music techy that i do not understand!

he is not just useless technologically - he also cannot use an electric drill or assemble furniture. that gene just seems to have passed him by! his brother is a whizz at such things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now