Is LibreOffice better than OpenOffice?

(6 Posts)
TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 24-Sep-13 12:20:48

I used to use OpenOffice. I've just got a new computer and had my old one formatted due to an infection.
I asked the computer mending people to put Open Office on them but they've done LibreOffice as well. They seem to have strong feelings about what software people should be using wink

Have they done this for a good reason? Will switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice make my life better?

Thanks smile

niceguy2 Tue 24-Sep-13 13:26:12

They're practically the same thing. Basically OpenOffice people broke away to get away from Oracle and started Libreoffice. In short it wasn't a technology change but a political/organisational issue.

Personally I use Kingsoft Office that looks and feels like the older versions of Microsoft Office. The one without the stupid ribbon interface.

If like me you used the old MS Office and are used to it then KS Office may be a better bet for you.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 24-Sep-13 13:32:33

Thanks! Very helpful.

I'll probably stick with OO then.

Paleodad Thu 26-Sep-13 17:40:09

Just to muddy the waters....LO is better, simply because the majority of developers went over from OO to LO when it 'forked'. Result is that LO is being very actively developed and updated with features OO lacks.

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 26-Sep-13 17:53:25

Thanks Paleo!
Also, now I've heard of Kingsoft I keep seeing people saying how good it is.
Waters thoroughly muddied.

Paleodad Thu 26-Sep-13 19:39:59

Well, imvho I tend to prefer opensource software like LOover closed source softwares like ms office and kingsoft. Open-source projects are more transparent, and are less vulnerable to the kind of NSA/government hacking recently exposed. Not that day to day wordprocessing is an issue for the NSA, but I do feel that open-source is somehow more ethical.
I've worded that really badly, but I hope you get my drift!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now