My DVD player has suddenly started showing everything in black and white

(12 Posts)

Tried swapping scart lead .... didn't help, but thereafter no picture at all on TV and still only black and white on dvd. At least dvd has a picture ... now really appreciate it!!!! Repairman coming on Monday.

bit low on technology in our house but can probably borrow another scart to try.

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 24-Sep-13 19:51:12

It'll be the cable - I got one from a car boot which played in black and white, was disappointing, tried replacing the cable and it worked fine! smile

If it's scart you probably have another one lying around somewhere anyway, especially if you had a different DVD player before this one, ever had a video player made after about 1990 or if you've had a set top box of any kind like sky, freeview etc.

Lomaamina Tue 24-Sep-13 19:45:20

dropyoursword grin

pipsqueakz Tue 24-Sep-13 18:44:35

Good luck hope it works.

Will look at yellow lead .... am convincing DD that her DVDs are far more tasteful and arty in black and white.

DropYourSword Tue 24-Sep-13 16:50:07

Have you considered that it's made a decision to become a French Art House DVD player and can no longer bear to display colour! grin

I agree, try a new lead before giving up on the player whether it's the red/yellow/white type, or a Scart or HDMI lead. A lot of cheapy pound shops sell them, and for that price it's worth trying that first.

Lomaamina Tue 24-Sep-13 16:45:16

Could be the cable connecting player to screen isn't in fully. Have you made sure it's screwed in (if it has screws, that is).

Or it's on the wrong channel. Mine is black and white on one channel and showing colour on the next one 'up' at the same time.

pipsqueakz Tue 24-Sep-13 16:44:09

Really sounds like yellow lead maybe its fraid inside? Just get new three way lead u know with the red yellow an white jacks. Sorry for lack of technical speak lol.

It was fine until a couple of days ago, when the children were watching on their own. I have wriggled/pushed in every lead I can find and tried out every button I can find on the TV and DVD control, in case someone had pressed a random button.
Does it mean the end of the DVD player?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now