Virgin upgraded broadband and now my wireless printer is very slow

(11 Posts)
katatonic Fri 20-Sep-13 12:00:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

My best guess would be that the new router is on the same channel as other routers in the area and the wireless printer is suffering interference.

Inssider is quite a good tool for finding interference. I don't know how you would change the channel on a Virgin router, but no doubt Google can find the answer.

katatonic Tue 08-Oct-13 22:07:32

nannynick Tue 08-Oct-13 22:47:14

This video (on youtube) is worth watching for a brief intro do Inssider. The home edition will be enough for you to see what channels various networks are on and how the signal ranges overlap.

Click where it says NETWORKS. You will see the various networks listed on the left side. Highlight your network by either clicking with mouse or scrolling with arrow keys. Then press the S key so that a blue star appears next to the network name. This helps you find your network, if there are lots in your area.

Depending on the frequency being used, the graphs at the bottom will show the networks ranges, with your starred network being in blue. The rest of the networks will be yellow, red, grey depending on signal strength and when detected.

With signal strength, you are looking at a negative number. -25 is better than -69.

On the right hand side there is a box showing network name and a Link Score. The higher the link score the better.

With a 2.4GHz network, channel 1, 6 and 11 are the commonly used ones as they avoid overlapping.

I am not sure how to improve things - I think the key is to select a channel where there are not any other networks within say about -30db.
So if your network is -25db, if others are -75db on the same channel they should be far enough away not to affect things too much, whereas if they are 35db, then they are close.

Try changing the channel of the network on the router, 1, 6, 11, and record what the Link Score is for each... then use the one with the highest link score.

nannynick Tue 08-Oct-13 22:54:15

Keep in mind that your wifi card can only see wifi networks. It can't see other things using the same frequencies. This includes cordless phones, baby monitors, security cameras, Bluetooth devices, Xbox 360 controllers... the list goes on and on and on. To see those networks you need a special USB device which costs quite a lot (example).

nannynick Tue 08-Oct-13 22:58:11

Virgin even have a video in which they use InSSider. Virgin: Changing the wireless channel on Super Hub.

widowerbutok Tue 08-Oct-13 23:24:47

Wow, thanks for the virgin vid link nannynick The things you learn. I have the 2nd hub and could not see how to change it if I had a problem.

katatonic Wed 09-Oct-13 10:13:20

widowerbutok Wed 09-Oct-13 11:48:32

If you have still got the printers installation cd, it may be worth removing the printer from yr pc and reinstalling it. Out of interest, what make printer?

katatonic Wed 09-Oct-13 13:42:00

katatonic Wed 16-Oct-13 12:32:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now