ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What tablet for an 8 y/o?

(16 Posts)
GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 11:45:13

I have very limited knowledge of modern tech, our desktop is ancient and. I use my smartphone for anything internet related.
We have decided to get ds a tablet, rather than a party this year but which one?
Budget could stretch to around £100
Should we. Just get. A cheapo. £60-70 one. Does it make much of a difference to. Get a. Dearer one?
Sorry about the full stops, my phone. Seems to be having issues!

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 12:22:13

Bump

I've just seen kindle fire on amazon for £99.99

Any good?

Songbird Wed 18-Sep-13 12:31:25

Apparently they are, yes. We've got a google nexus 7 which is fab. We looked at a lot of comparisons between that and the kindle fire, and the nexus seemed to just nudge it, but there wasn't much in it. One thing, we've had a hell of a job finding parental controls for the nexus, so we've had to drum it in to dd (also 8) not to look at anything (mostly feckin 1D videos on you tube!) without checking with us first. Maybe look into that before deciding.

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 12:34:16

Thanks, will do a bit more research before buying anyway.

medhandthekiddiesvtheworld Wed 18-Sep-13 12:36:32

this is an amazing deal on the Nexus

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 12:39:05

I'm a bit hmm about it being reconditioned though
But thanks for the link...food for thought

Rooners Wed 18-Sep-13 12:41:13

No, do not get a Nexus. They are NOT intended for children and if you see Oblomov's thread from last week you'll see why!

Sadly I don't know what is a good one for a kid. I think wait a few years personally - ds has had his confiscated since he took it to school on Monday hmm

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 12:44:35

I've mentioned it to him already rooners,
He had the choice of birthday party or a tablet and he chose the latter.
I'll steer clear of the nexus then.

Rooners Wed 18-Sep-13 12:48:19

Oh good luck.

I hope you find something...ds only wanted this or an ipod touch, but all he does is surf you tube and play really odd games that trick him into buying trophies etc using my card details that I didn't input.

Parental controls on it are non existent.

Wish I had got him a plain ipod now.

Rooners Wed 18-Sep-13 12:48:46

ds is 10 btw

orangepudding Wed 18-Sep-13 12:50:42

I had a Nexus and loved it - DD2 dropped it and the screen smashed, not worth getting it fixed due to price!

Which ever you choose get a very good case!

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 13:02:43

Will bear that in mind Orange, ds is extremely clumsy! I will get a thick silicone thingy to go on it.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 18-Sep-13 13:15:27

We have Kindle Fire HD's for the children who are 7 and 3. they were supposed to be for us all to use but the children seem to have 'acquired' them! They are very good and have plenty of memory for games etc. We have Love Film on them both too so don't need the memory to download films.

We also have a couple of Ipad mini's and while they are better than the Kindles in terms of layout etc they are not worth the extra £££'s. They also seem more delicate than the Kindles which so far have been knocked about a fair bit and withstood it.

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 13:29:24

Can you get free apps for kindle, games etc?

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 18-Sep-13 13:40:58

yes, I think they are free. We have loads of game apps etc which DH puts on for them and as far as I know they are mostly free. DS1 spends all of his time playing Minecraft on his or watching You tube Minecraft videos.

GreggsOnLegs Wed 18-Sep-13 14:15:45

Great. I was a bit worried about buying a budget tablet then spending £££ on apps.
Perhaps if he wants ones you have to pay for, lovefilm etc, we can ask gp's as Xmas presents as they're always stuck on what to get him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now