Can't download/install update of Adobe Reader on Mac. Help!

(4 Posts)
NulliusInBlurba Tue 17-Sep-13 15:03:12

Very frustrating. Have booked flight on blardy EasyJet, all went well. But to check in online now it keeps on sending me through to a screen insisting that I need a new version of Adobe Reader (ie won't let me use Preview), and when I try to install that new version it keeps on failing. I get right though to giving in my password (successfully) and it seems to install and then I get the failure message.
I've looked to see what it might be and deinstalled my virus-program, checked that javascript is enabled (at least it is for Safari, on Firefox I can't even find the preference that allows me to change java settings). Don't know what else to try now. This is soooo stupid, I can't check in for this flight without completing this installation.
Details: Mac OS 10.8.4
Firefox: 24.0
Lovely new quick iMac with oodles of ROM and RAM and whatever.
Currently Adobe Reader 8.3.1 installed. I realise that's not the most recent version but it's worked fine up to now.

Any ideas what else I can try?

widowerbutok Tue 17-Sep-13 21:26:30

Can you delete the version you have now and go to the web site and install the a new, and therefore updated one, again.
I know its a bit 'last chance' but it has worked for me on other such problems. Best of luck.

NulliusInBlurba Wed 18-Sep-13 09:03:36

Hi widower, I did in the end manage to solve both problems (sort of). What I did to install Adobe XI was download the full version rather than just an update, I believe (the version I downloaded was 400 something MB rather than the 76 MB the update would have been) - it seems to be working fine now. Perhaps there was too much of a 'gap' between version 8.3.1 and the new one? I actually quite like the new version - it has a good comments facility.

But then when I tried to do the EasyJet check-in it still kept on directing me to the Adobe site and refused to believe I had a fully functioning PDF viewer. So I phoned the helpline, the woman said straight away 'I'll mail you the boarding pass' - so I get the feeling it's not the first time this problem has happened! I hope this doesn't happen every time I book a flight with them, it could get tedious.

widowerbutok Wed 18-Sep-13 13:06:53

Glad you overcame the problem with the update tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now