tried to find my old thread on this and I can't. Recommend best specs for gaming pc please

(7 Posts)
ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 16-Sep-13 16:32:38

I am going to buy a new computer now. this week. right away. cos I have finally HAD IT with this pile of crap. But it also has to double as my son's gaming pc. So what specs must I have? the game he loves says it needs dual core 2.0ghz and a direct x 9.0c compliant video card

Snorbs Mon 16-Sep-13 16:47:45

a) What games does he play?
b) What's your budget?
c) Will you also want a new screen, keyboard and/or mouse?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 16-Sep-13 16:58:02

at the moment, he plays skyrim, but no doubt he'll want others. nothing black ops/grand theft auto like (over my dead body will he!)
budget is as little as humanly possible grin Am happy to go for

reconditioned, doesn't have to be brand new

nope, don't need them, but if you have to have new ones, I'm happy to buy them.

Snorbs Tue 17-Sep-13 09:26:18

How about this? £579 without monitor, keyboard or mouse but includes a Windows 8 license.

It's got a good processor, lots of memory and storage and easily good-enough graphics card. I built my DS a gaming PC that has a reasonably similar spec and it's run everything he's thrown at it with no problem.

You'd need to make sure that your current monitor has the right connector(s). I think that graphics card can do HDMI, DVI and possibly DisplayPort. Do you know the make/model of your monitor?

Snorbs Tue 17-Sep-13 09:31:54

Or if madam's budget is a bit more petite, you could go for this for £240 and then spend £80 on a graphics card off Amazon. Not as high spec as the one I posted above but it will be fine for Skyrim. You'd need to install the graphics card yourself but it's not difficult.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 17-Sep-13 16:45:44

Thanks Snorbs. V much.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 17-Sep-13 16:46:32

oh, my monitor - I have no idea. it says packard bell on it, it's a flat one. apart from that, I don't have a clue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now