Why is it grey?

(11 Posts)
RedlipsAndSlippers Sat 14-Sep-13 20:39:37

When I left for work this morning there was nothing wrong with the tv, but by the time I got home something weird had happened. We have sky, but the screen is all in shades of grey.
When we run a DVD it comes out in perfect colour, and when the turn the sky off the blue screen is still blue, so I don't think it's the tele. We've tried the obvious, turning the box off and on, unplugging, changing the scart lead, but whatever we do, all sky channels are in grey.
Anyone got any ideas on what may have happened? Really don't want to have to shell out for someone to come and tell me I need to spend money on it, I haven't got any to spare!
Thanks smile

SummerRain Sat 14-Sep-13 20:56:42

Ring them, they're fab at fixing stuff over the phone.

RedlipsAndSlippers Sat 14-Sep-13 21:03:19

Really? When our sky Internet router melted (scary!) they agreed to send us a new one, but only if we started a new year of contract with them, otherwise it was going to be something ridiculous like £70 to get a new one :/
Just worried that it'll be the same scenario, and since we have another little one due I don't want to lock myself into something that I may not be able to afford in the long run.

SummerRain Sat 14-Sep-13 21:17:50

I'm in Ireland but I generally seem to be speaking to someone with an English/Scottish accent so it's probably the same call centre and they're always really helpful. They can tweak things from their end and diagnose the problem.

Have you tried fiddling with the wires at the back of the box. Ours goes funny sometimes and it's usually just a loose connection

Check cables are plugged in. Check settings on TV remote. On ours, we have 4 coloured buttons. One of them for Virgin box, another for wii. If pressed once, we get b & w, press twice for colour.

RedlipsAndSlippers Sat 14-Sep-13 21:25:16

Yeah, DP has checked all the wires and stuff.
Guess I'll have to make the call tomorrow. Hopefully some of your positivity will rub off on me! Thanks smile

RedlipsAndSlippers Sat 14-Sep-13 21:30:31

Littlefishes you genius! Had taken DPs word for it that he'd checked the settings with the tv remote already, but it's worked! Thanks smile

I had the same problem every time we switched from wii to tv or back again. Eventually my kids showed me what to do!

& I take it you still gave the old style TV like us, then? grin

gave > have

RedlipsAndSlippers Sun 15-Sep-13 07:45:26

It's certainly not the newest grin Thanks again, I am now the techy one (the only time that's ever happened)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now