Do I need a Raspberry Pi or can DS learn programming another (easier) way

(8 Posts)
mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 26-Aug-13 18:14:39

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate any tips/advice. I learnt to programme on a Sinclair Spectrum, my DB and I had loads of fun entering the commands and running programs (there was a booklet that showed you how to do it iirc).

Anyway, DS is insistent he wants to learn how to write video games. I told him it's very complicated and we'll need to teach him programming. Sadly, my geeky potential was never fulfilled, and I now am very, very un-computer literate (beyond the real basics).

Would a raspberry pi be helpful? Or is there stuff he can do that's basic on my Dell laptop? I really don't know where to begin, so would appreciate you talking to me in words of one syllable!

DH is a little more literate, but could use some guidance too. Am hoping to get DBIL involved over Christmas, as I recall he used to "build" computers and do all sorts of exciting things as a teen.

GiraffesMum Mon 26-Aug-13 18:17:39

Why not try the code academy code academy website to let him try out programming?

ValentineWiggins Mon 26-Aug-13 18:27:23

How old is DS? Is there a Code Club at his school? (https://www.codeclub.org.uk/)

Otherwise he can start by looking at Scratch by himself/with your help (scratch.mit.edu) as this leads you to very simple video games really easily. There's lots of good resources for that out there too - a quick google will get you all of that. Try learnscratch.org/ as this looks pretty reasonable.

Otherwise you can learn Python on any PC - there are various introductory websites/books that will tell you how to get it set up. My husband likes learnpythonthehardway.org/ but it might be a bit advanced/boring for a child. Try inventwithpython.com/ as that claims to be accessible to 10-12 year olds...

ValentineWiggins Mon 26-Aug-13 18:27:55

Oh and the current version of scratch (2) is completely web based so you don't need to install anything on your PC.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 26-Aug-13 19:03:17

Oh, that's brilliant, thank you so much! DS is 7, sorry, that was probably quite crucial information.

ArtemisKelda Mon 26-Aug-13 19:06:37

Scratch is great for learning the basics, it's free to download from scratch.mit.edu

My 7yr old DS plays around with it.

Quackster Mon 26-Aug-13 20:48:19

Also maybe see if there are any CoderDojos in your area?

The Pi from a programming sense is in relevance to Minecraft mainly for kids. But in that essence, there is nothing that can't be done on the PC version.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 29-Aug-13 14:59:06

DS and DD are currently having a whale of a time on Scratch, and earlier we were learning a bit of html on Code Academy. Really helpful tips, thank you all very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now