Can my Samsung Galaxy Ace do any of the things an ipad does?

(6 Posts)

I have been lent an ipad for the summer holidays and it goes back next week.sad

Mathsphobic DD uses it for some holiday school work and has downloaded lots of games, most of which I think are a waste of time but which keep her happy on car journeys, trains, etc.

I have the above phone, but have never managed to make it do anything other than text and take (v good) photos. Can it be used for games, educational stuff - I have some good maths apps on the ipad - and watching films, reading, etc?

I really know nothing about these things!

headlesslambrini Mon 26-Aug-13 07:32:18

I have the galaxy S2 and I can. You need to go into the play store and search for maths apps and then click on install, if it's the same as mine. Some apps are free and some you will have to pay for.

Quackster Mon 26-Aug-13 20:51:35

Its considered by some that Android devices (Galaxy Ace) can actually do more than iPads. Android has less rules for developers for their apps compared to Apple and their iOS devices.

nannynick Mon 26-Aug-13 21:04:41

I have the Galaxy Ace and it can run some apps. However the low internal memory means that you will experience trouble running more than just a couple of apps.

Don't know about maths apps/maths games for Android. Guess there are some out there. Small screen size of mobile vs the iPad may make things trickier to play.

Nanny, when you say 'running more than just a couple of apps', do you mean storing them on the Galaxy, or using them at the same time?

Next thing to think about, I suppose, is whether to get a Samsung tablet or an ipad for the family ... the prevalent view seems to be that the ipad is hugely overpriced, just due to its name, but can others do the same things????

nannynick Tue 27-Aug-13 10:00:38

storage. some apps will use sd card for storage of things like map data but all apps on the Galaxy Ace seem to use internal phone storage.

You normally run one app at a time. I do have a gps tracker that I run at the same time as satnav and the phone copes with that most of the time - sometimes it crashes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now