Out of control cursor!! Help!

(10 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 20:58:34

This keeps happening...all going well and then, seemingly for no reason, I lose control of the cursor.

If I try and move it to click on something it will suddenly shoot off past what I'm trying to click on. Its so frustrating. no matter how slowly or carefully I try and move it to hover over a link for example it just overshoots.

Its as if it knows what I want to click on but deliberately won't let me meaning I spend ages trying to coax it to the right place whilst getting increasingly frustrated <paranoid>

(using a laptop with touchpad BTW)

WafflyVersatile Sat 17-Aug-13 21:02:41

I get the same thing. Drives me mad. Then it'll be all right again as suddenly as it started.

Sorry, this is no help, but yahknow, solidarity fist bump.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 21:11:36

Its infuriating isn't it Waffly? Have you noticed any pattern in when it happens?

(this is an Akoya laptop -whats yours?)

DwellsUndertheSink Sat 17-Aug-13 21:13:43

if you have a touchpad mouse, try installing touchfreeze.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 21:20:12

Dwells, its not when I'm typing (although from searching on here it seems that its a common a problem for the cursor to move elsewhere mid-typing).

This is when I'm just browsing websites eg. if I'm on MN Active Convos list and see a thread I want to read , when I try and move the cursor to click on it to open it the cursor will fly past the thread title making it impossible to click on it

WafflyVersatile Sun 18-Aug-13 00:10:57

touchfreeze you say?

it is a touchpad.

The cursor does sometimes move insertion point when I'm typing. I've assumed it's my wrists activating the touchpad.

WafflyVersatile Sun 18-Aug-13 00:12:00

ah, that only helps with the typing. I might give it a go tomorrow all the same.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 18-Aug-13 09:38:36

I occasionally find the cursor moves when typing (even at work on a PC with proper keyboard and mouse etc) but its nowhere near as annoying as the 'out of control cursor' that won't go where you want it.

Manda472 Sun 18-Aug-13 09:41:43

Don't know if this will help but this happens to me when one if the dc have been using it with sticky fingers angry I find if I clean and dry it completely its fine again

NorbertDentressangle Sun 18-Aug-13 16:29:11

Not the DC (this time !) as they don't use this laptop but thanks for suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now