iPhone 3gs screen dimmed

(8 Posts)
Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 16-Aug-13 19:10:16

Exactly that. The screen is barely visable. It still works, I can see everything moving about but it's so dark. I've tried adjusting the screen brightness but made no difference. Is it knackered?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 16-Aug-13 22:10:22

Anyone? Pleeease!

widowerbutok Fri 16-Aug-13 23:43:29

Put your topic heading into Google and see what comes up. I did and it seems repairable, but cant see a cost.

Charleymouse Fri 16-Aug-13 23:49:32

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

niceguy2 Sat 17-Aug-13 09:58:38

Sounds like the backlight has gone on the LCD.

Thankfully it's not an expensive fix but it does involve replacing the LCD. You can buy kits from eBay for about £20. Don't get the ones with just the screen unless you like trying to separate glass from the LCD. For the extra £6 get the LCD & Digitizer ones.

There are plenty of instructions on YouTube on how to replace it and the kits usually even come with the tools.

Alternatively plenty of independent phone shops can do the fix for you. A while back my friend paid about £40 for hers.

That all said & done, the 3GS is very old now and not worth much so it's up to you if you do the repair or just use it as an opportunity to get a new phone.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 17-Aug-13 15:53:04

Thanks, it's dh's phone. He does love fixing things so he'll probably give that a go. I've got a 5 and I can get him a 4s as a second phone on my contract quite cheaply but I just wondered if it was possible to fix the 3GS or not. He's quite tight and doesn't want to pay for a contract so I reckon he'll try to fix it. I knew someone on here would know!

niceguy2 Sat 17-Aug-13 19:06:51

If he likes that sort of thing then he should be fine. I did it when my DD broke her 3GS and also for a friend who had the exact problem you are describing. It was pretty easy as long as you follow the instructions.

ProtectiveMother Sun 18-Aug-13 08:40:42

Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now