Virus help

(45 Posts)
chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 17:31:09

I'm a complete techno phobe so no technical jargon pls

I've got a virus which says I've breeched about 20 laws and have to pay £100 to unlock my computer

It will let me control-alt-deltete to stop it running but keeps coming back

I've had a google and it says to restore factory settings but will this lose all my stuff saved on the computer?

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:19

Or got rid of them?

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:44

Google their names.

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 20:00:47

Have you deleted them and restarted your computer?

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 20:01:16

I was meant to take notice of their names?

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 20:01:32

If you havent yet deleted,could you put the names on here.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 20:02:49

Yes I've deleted and restarted, malwarebytes is showing that they have been removed

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 20:10:41

Just out of interest,what was the name of the games site your dd was on?

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 20:21:27

No you don't have to take note of the names, but I often google the names out of interest and to make sure its found the offending sneaky spyware.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 20:42:12

She was on girls go games.com

She has been using it for a couple of years

I've rung my bank because I was panicking so they've stopped my cards and suspended my online banking

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 21:02:53

I think you have done the right thing regarding your bank,at least you have peace of mind.
I,m on my tablet atm but will have a browse at that website when I go back on the laptop.without sounding accusing,is there any chance it could have come from somewhere else,it seems strange if she has been using the site for two years with no problems.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 21:14:11

Possibly, the dcs are on school holiday so have been using it more than normal

They go on you tube, 11 yo has been researching the Big Bang and they both know not to click on cookies or adverts

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 21:18:28

Often it downloads disguised as an update for a media player

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 21:25:56

Had a look and that site is reported as being safe.
The biggest culprit for this sort of thing has been google images in my experience,so maybe when the research was being done it crept in.

Do use ccleaner,its another recommended tool,it will clear all your temporary files (it used to be called crap cleaner so basically deletes the crap on your computer).Its a bit scary,says it will permanently delete files but its very safe.

I use ccleaner,malwarebytes and antivirus on a weekly basis just to make sure everything is shipshape,just remember to update the second two regularly.

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 21:27:03

That was meant to say "do you use ccleaner",it was a question not an instructionblush

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 21:32:32

I never knew that about Google images.

Will be more careful in future.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 21:38:53

Google images is used a lot!

Thank you for your help, I'm getting a 2nd laptop in a couple of weeks so I'll make sure it's all set up from day 1

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 21:52:21

I think google images is better now than it was ,I still have one dd at school so still doing research etc ,dont seem to get as much as we used to but I am scrupulous about internet safety and keep the pc,s immaculate.
The other thing I would urge you to do ,is to turn off remote access,instructions here,for some reason its enabled by default in windows and if your like me and never had to use it,it makes better sense security wise.If ever you needed it on,a quick google would give you instructions.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Jul-13 21:56:41

I always though the regular scheduled scans would keep it clean

Lesson learnt I think!

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 22:01:45

I expect what you had was malware ,which is why Malwarebytes found it,AVG wouldnt have found it because that looks for viruses.
Its a good idea to keep Malwarebytes and use it along side Avg.

Chanatan Sat 27-Jul-13 22:08:45

Over the years I have learnt no anti virus is 100%,you just need to be aware and cautious.
I consider myself to be quite a techy person but my paypal account got hijacked recently and looking back,I think I clicked on a link in an email and so played right in the fraudsters hands,good job paypal were on the bill and limited my account before they managed to run riot,the cheeky so and so,s came back with another email after i had changed my password with another fake link,I was not so stupid that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now