Does anyone have a Nexus 7?

(21 Posts)
farrowandbawl Sat 27-Jul-13 10:10:07

The reason I am asking is that I would like to one for the kids for Christmas presents. As the Main present.

It's in my budget (provided I do it soon) and seems to be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure what it's acutally like. I can't afford and refuse to pay the money for an Apple Ipad.

Are Nexus really as good as the reviews say?

frogwatcher42 Sat 27-Jul-13 10:12:16

I will watch this with interest as I was going to get an Ipad for dd but it wont run adobe flash apparently. This restricts some websites such as MYMaths and moshi monsters so I am told.

Would the Nexus be different?

farrowandbawl Sat 27-Jul-13 10:18:40

Nexus doesn't run Adobe Flash either from what I can see.

The major issue I have is that's it's an Assus product and I've not had any luck with their stuff at all.

Paleodad Sat 27-Jul-13 10:23:46

there are loads of cheaper android tablets around the £100 mark, and often the only difference between the big brands and cheaper tablets is camera quality and the speakers. also better value for kids when they are inevitably dropped and/or broken. and they have flash.

farrowandbawl Sat 27-Jul-13 10:48:54

Thank you.

Which ones if you don't mind me asking?

Eraser Sat 27-Jul-13 12:20:17

Something to bear in mind is that Google have just recently announced an updated version of the nexus 7 releasing next week I believe so it might be worth holding on until some some of the reviews come out. It is also possible to have flash running on a nexus tablet however its more of a workaround at the moment.

lizzypuffs Sat 27-Jul-13 12:35:56

Don't buy one. I have (had) one and at 9 months old ot was used daily but carefully in the house. it suddenly developed a crack across the screen...it had never been dropped or anything untoward and only used by me.

Turns out that its quite a common fault. nobody would take responsibility even though they quietly acknowledged it.

No flash either.

Paleodad Sat 27-Jul-13 12:58:17

sorry, on my way out, will be back with info later!

Inncogneetow Sat 27-Jul-13 13:34:47

ds2 (14) got one at Christmas and he loves it. He did lots of research and decided this was the one he wanted.

I don't like it as much as my ipad, but i think that's just what I'm used to. The only specific drawback is it has a facetime camera (for skype and so on), but doesn't have a normal camera. So it's quite awkward if you try and use it to take quick snaps.

Nps1976 Sat 27-Jul-13 13:59:38

Personally I think it's perfect for kids. I bought my 2 year old one as she was constantly on my ipad. I downloaded a program called Famigo (but there others) which allows you to choose which apps to allow and blocks Internet usage if you want. It makes it completely child friendly. The screen, sound etc is much better than the child specific tablets (which I found were a bit overpriced as presumably they were marked up on account of being 'child friendly'). You'll find that you are very restricted with what apps you can download on the child frienndly tablets as they are not always licensed for Google Play. You may also find that their approved apps all need to be paid for whereas there are loads of free apps if you have access to Google Play (as you do with the Nexus). You can also disable Famigo so other family members can use it as a normal tablet. My husband replaced his broken ipad with a Nexus too as it meant he could justify the 3G version and more memory, all for less than the lowest spec ipad.

My daughter has all her DVD's on it, and happily watches it between 5am and 6am which gives me an extra hours sleep (that and bedtime are the only times she uses it).

Admittedly the first one we got was faulty but Google replaced it with no issues.

farrowandbawl Sat 27-Jul-13 14:17:30

I should also mention my children are 13 and 10 in case it makes a difference.

Thank you everyone for responses so far. I'll keep waiting for more replies and then make a decision.

Paleodad Sat 27-Jul-13 16:50:48

the forums at www.slatedroid.com/ have alot of info about cheaper android tablets.
I have a NATPC 7inch screen tablet, bought for about £80 that i'm very happy with, but Ployer, Icoo and Pipo have decent reputations.
Search any of these on Amazon, and carefully read the spec and the feedback.
the basic feature differences between these and more expensive tablets tends to be lower quality (quieter) speakers, a lack of 3G support (built-in, although you can pay extra to have it) and the cameras are usually only 2 or 3 megapixels.

Allice Sat 27-Jul-13 17:01:23

I have one. I do like it, use it as a kindle, to MN and play candy crush. But it's had to go for repair twice since Christmas, PC World have been crap and won't exchange. It's easy to use but not as easy as an iPad.
If I were buying a new one tomorrow I wouldn't buy a nexus, I'd buy an iPad mini or if funds were tight a kindle fire.

ButThereAgain Sat 27-Jul-13 17:06:12

I've had one for 6 months. It has been fine, no faults. I use it to read Kindle books, surf web, watch iPlayer. All good.

Only downside I can think of is that the camera is rubbish -- if that matters to your DCs they might be disappointed.

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 17:06:43

My DS has a nexus, he loves it.

It's much better than my kindle fire.

ButThereAgain Sat 27-Jul-13 17:08:18

The Google apps store is fun. Plenty of free games. Very good interface.

superbagpuss Sat 27-Jul-13 17:10:18

I love my nexus
had it since November last year, no issues with it at all

I use it for mn, internet, iPlayer, YouTube , reading - anything you can think off

so pleased with it

EasyFromNowOn Sat 27-Jul-13 17:19:10

I have one, had it since October, I think. It's used daily by the kids (9 & 7) and there haven't been any problems with it. They were a bit put off that they couldn't get on Moshi Monsters to start with, then DS discovered minecraft, and DD mostly seems to play subway surfers on it so it is no longer an issue.

It's been dropped twice, both times by me blush but it has a cover which seems to have prevented any damage - the first time the case opened a bit at one of the corners but I just snapped it back together and it has been fine.

DS intends to pool any birthday/Xmas money he gets with his pocket money and buy one of his own at Christmas, but that will probably be the new spec one.

MagratGarlik Sat 27-Jul-13 17:20:09

I have a nexus 7 and love it. I won't buy Apple, but that's just me.

I use mine mainly for internet, Facebook, games etc, but also for taking notes in meetings (which I can then store directly on Google Drive), I also use it to access documents so that I significantly reduce the amount of stuff I print out, I sometimes use it for Skype, though still tend to do that on my laptop, but do use it quite often to flick through PowerPoint's etc when I can't be bothered to start up my laptop.

I've had mine a year now and no problems. I bought DP one at Christmas and no problems with his either.

I don't tend to use the kindle app on it much, as I prefer reading books on my kindle. I like the flat paper-quality screen of the kindle.

farrowandbawl Sat 27-Jul-13 17:32:15

Thank you all of you. Thanks to Paleodad for coming back and remembering this thread.

I'll take note of all your suggestions and do a little more research with other tablets before I settle on one.

Thanks again, it means a great deal.

Ponders Sat 27-Jul-13 17:35:59

I was all set to buy a Nexus until I found out about the lack of forward-facing camera - if that didn't matter to you then prob a very good buy. (I ended up with Ipad mini which I am v happy with)

Which rave about it grin (I'll dig out their review)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now