Come and talk to me about smart phones

(27 Posts)
niminypiminy Mon 15-Jul-13 11:00:03

So, I had my bag stolen at the weekend with my ancient basic Nokia PAYG phone in it. I've lost all my contacts (aargh!) so I think it's time to jump into the world of smart phones so I can save contacts (as well as do all the other things you do with a smart phone).

But, but, but -- there's so many out there, and I am useless at making consumer decisions! I have an IPad, so would it make sense to get an iPhone and sync everything together, or would this be a waste of money? Are iPhones actually rubbish? And if I get an android phone, which to choose?

Someone told me to look at money saving expert, but it just made me want to slash my wrists. So ... I need advice! What should I do?

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 17-Jul-13 19:56:46

I really really really want a Galaxy S4 Active. It's water and dustproof and has an underwater camera grin

amicissimma Mon 22-Jul-13 16:32:52

OP, I would say that an iPod would suit you better if you like everything to be simple to use from the first instant and you are happy to always use your phone the way Apple sets it up. You will probably be installing iTunes on your computer at some point, so you need to be happy to live with it and its attention-seeking ways.

If you prefer to have your phone set up in the way that suits you, even if you have to spend a few hours getting it how you want, you would be better off with Android. You do not need to install any special software on your computer.

Other points to consider:

You already have an Apple device and therefore are used to their operating system. This suggests that you like it and don't feel limited/frustrated by it, and that you don't feel you are being overcharged for the product.

If you need extra memory, you can add a memory card to most Android devices, but not to Apple ones.

If it is important to you not to run out of battery, you can buy a spare/spares battery and just swap them over if you have an Android. You have to find a way to charge an idevice.

Take suggestions that this or that device uses more battery or has a lot of memory taken up with the OS, with a very large pinch of salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now