Can we talk about creating mobile versions of a website?

(6 Posts)
ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 15-Jul-13 14:52:26

joomla but its a big site. over 200 pages and not done yet plus some of them have regularly updated content . and there's also a directory. thats sobi.

NetworkGuy Mon 15-Jul-13 13:58:22

zoomla or joomla ? Sorry, have seen both mentioned on different sites... and Joomla is sometimes a free hosting add-on that can be installed in a few clicks...

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 15-Jul-13 13:19:52

Thanks for replirs.
It's a very large site, on zoomla and hosted by bt but built by me. As a temporary measure, I have now put some links to mobile friendly pages whhere I ve done simple pages with large text, while I look at the options.
Thanks.

It depends a bit on what information you want to make available on the mobile version and why, plus whether you have the techy skills yourself to make html pages (or someone you can pay a smallish amount, rather than a mega 'design' package)

But if the mobile sector is important to you, becasue it is relevant to your business, then you may need to invest in something 'nicer' to get the custom.

The pages which display on a mobile are just html pages, not technically difficult, but it's a question of thinking what info you need to get across and putting it in a way which is uncluttered.

EasyFromNowOn Sat 13-Jul-13 19:27:13

Who hosts the site for you at the moment? Do they offer a mobile optimised option?

I don't know what kind of site it is, but if you are getting a lot of mobile traffic it might be worth looking at moving to something like Squarespace, or if it is a very simple site, maybe Wordpress? I'm sure squarespace do native support for just about all mobile devices, and wordpress automatically present the mobile version to me when I'm on my phone.

It's kind of going to depend on what the site does, and how much knowledge you have (or cash/time, if you don't have much). Getting the site optimised shouldn't be hugely expensive and there will be reputable firms, but you will need to look carefully.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 12-Jul-13 09:51:49

I suppose this should really go in self employed/freelancers but I needed tech types grin

I have a website that is seriously unfriendly to mobile devices and it's losing me business!

I really don't want to pay squillions to have someone design me a new site or anything. Do I have any other options?

Like a button on the home page to click for mobile site and then I just have a selection of information in a very large font?

I've also seen ads for companies that claim to give you a mobile version of your site for a few quid a month, but I am unsure whether they are cons or not.

Thoughts most welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now