McAffee finding viruses in incoming mail attachments from trusted contacts?

(9 Posts)
Sleepshmeep Fri 14-Jun-13 09:56:03

It seems nearly every attachment I have received lately from named contacts (ie playgroup etc) McAffee is warning there is a virus attached. There are forms I need to download today and a list of contacts from another organisation I've started volunteering for - it's getting embarassing as no-one else seems to have a problem.

Anyone else get this? Any suggestions for what to do greatly appreciated.

Sleepshmeep Fri 14-Jun-13 10:18:08

Bumpity bump.

Anyone?

SarabiDog Fri 14-Jun-13 10:40:12

What virus is it detecting? Most e-mail scanners don't like encrypted stuff (because they can't check it), it could be as simple as that

Sleepshmeep Fri 14-Jun-13 10:52:37

Ah, thank you, I've not experienced this before. It is saying there are suspicious things detected but gives no advice as to what to do next. The email has apparently been scanned ok their end by Norton, so may risk it. Thank you smile

starfishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 11:01:51

Has it been hacked at their end? I sometimes get odd virus-y emails from a friend who does not seem to have bothered with security

HabbaDabbaDoo Fri 14-Jun-13 12:54:52

If the attachment is a PDF then the risk of a virus is minimal (famous last words smile ) Its executable attachments are the ones you should worry about i.e. the .exe files.

How about forwarding the email to a friend, complete with attachment, and if they don't detect a virus then you can assume that your version is clean?

I

SarabiDog Fri 14-Jun-13 13:00:26

HabbaDabbaDoo, never assume a pdf is safe wink

Sleeps, if you can put up the text it's actually given you I could probably tell you what's up with it. Or at least put you in the ballpark.

HabbaDabbaDoo Fri 14-Jun-13 13:55:43

My friends just call me Habba. No need to be so formal wink

Sleepshmeep Fri 14-Jun-13 16:47:24

Hello thank you for all the replies - I ended up getting McAfee on the case as it is all email attachments - seems to be a problem with their siteadvisor being over-cautious which has flumoxed (sp?) them somewhat. So I will wait for them to resolve, and if it's anything particularly exciting, I will let you all know grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now