Can anyone recommend a FREE good anti virus please?

(12 Posts)
SoggySummer Wed 12-Jun-13 09:36:50

I have AVG (free) but a while back something got on my laptop that this didnt pick up. I found that by using a temporary Malware bytes download.

Am wondering if there is any other good similar free anti virus downloads out there. Are there any others that good?

lazydog Wed 12-Jun-13 17:00:22

Unfortunately none are infallible and the best antivirus will still let some things through...more-so if you let the virus database updates slide... AVG doesn't have a bad detection rate. I personally much prefer Avast, but there's not a huge amount between them. Microsoft Security Essentials is also ok, and very much a "set and forget", but it does have a slightly poorer detection rate than either of the other two. I haven't used it in a while (few years) but Avira free version used to be great for protection, with fantastic detection rates, but the reason I turned away from it was that it was a bit buggy and caused hanging/slowness issues at times...

SoggySummer Wed 12-Jun-13 18:49:26

Thank you. I used Avast in the past but not for a few years. I think it was free for 12 months. I wonder if I can get it to download again.

lazydog Wed 12-Jun-13 21:58:40

Avast Free edition is permanently free - they just require you to re-register every 12 months so they have a good idea of how many people are currently using their product. And like all the anti virus companies that make a paid aswell as a free product, they do their best to dupe convince you that you need the full version when it comes to renewal, but you can just ignore that and renew the free one.

DorisShutt Wed 12-Jun-13 22:04:18

Panda Anti-virus is recommended by IT pro DH (and a fair few of his colleagues).

Southeastdweller Wed 12-Jun-13 22:16:28

I've had malware and viruses when I've had both Avasti and AVG.

Coming to the conclusion that if you want a very good anti-virus software then you need to cough up for it. Or buy a MacBook instead.

lazydog Wed 12-Jun-13 22:21:26

"Coming to the conclusion that if you want a very good anti-virus software then you need to cough up for it."

grin Tell that to all the people whose PCs I have to clean that have McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, Trend Micro and the like... We get just as much business from them as we do from people using the various free versions.

"Or buy a MacBook instead"

Or better still - and totally free - just install a linux distro like Ubuntu onto your existing PC. smile

flatmum Wed 12-Jun-13 22:42:44

I use a combination of Avg and malware bytes and have never had any issues

NicholasTeakozy Wed 12-Jun-13 23:35:34

Another vote for Avast. I've just renewed my 12 month free subscription. The first AV I ever used was AVG, it let a malware through which took ages to get rid of. I switched to Panda, which was good but flagged up false positives. Now I have Avast Free and Spybot. Both update automatically and are fairly unobtrusive.

Madlizzy Thu 13-Jun-13 00:05:19

I like panda cloud as it doesn't clog up my pc

PearlyWhites Thu 13-Jun-13 00:13:12

Another vote for panda

jamesedwards399 Thu 20-Jun-13 08:29:13

There are many good antivirus options available. You may choose between Avast, Immunet, Avira, Bitdefender, Comodo, Kaspersky, McAfee etc. All these antivirus programs can be downloaded for FREE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now