What do I need to look for in a new laptop, please?

(4 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 11-Jun-13 18:58:45

I'm in the market for a new laptop - my Acer Aspire is 7 years old and on its last legs. I went to John Lewis today and realised I have no idea what to look for! Can anyone help me out with an idea of spec - good brands, minimum memory needed etc? I'll be mainly using it for internet, emailing, writing documents, saving/printing photos and I know I don't want a mac or a netbook. I don't really want to spend more than £400, ideally less.

ellasmum1 Tue 11-Jun-13 19:07:39

well for a start i'd think you will get very little for £400 mark at John Lewis.
I have just recently bought an Acer E1 571 core i5(quick processor),with 500gb hard disk storage.Its fine for everything you mentioned.I bought it as an Amazon warehouse deal as it was a refurb or opened box or something.Still had the guarantee though.Cost £311.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 11-Jun-13 19:27:36

I just happened to be in JL, I doubt I'll buy from there after seeing their prices!

What's an Amazon warehouse deal?

Just seen this, have no idea if it's a good spec though confused.

HabbaDabbaDoo Wed 12-Jun-13 09:40:37

If you wanted a laptop for gaming or video editing or other so-called 'power' applications then there are various must-haves boxes that you need to tick. But since your rrequirements are quite vanilla, go back to JL, find a model that you like the look off and then buy it off Amazon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now