Battery life in Samsung Galaxy s3

(8 Posts)
Peetle Fri 28-Jun-13 15:14:56

I can get up to 48 hours out of mine, though I'm a bit obsessive about killing aps when I'm not using them. Turn off GPS and Wifi unless you're using them, make sure you kill any free games you have (they download ads and some of them keep churning away even when the phone is off). Also, kill Dropbox when it's synched - that really drains the power.

Sometimes I can charge it in under 2 hours, sometimes it takes over 5 so you do need to kill anything that you're not using. Also, try and always run it down to under 15% and then charge it up to full in one go - this keeps the battery in good condition. A new phone will also take a few cycles of charging like this before you get the best performance out of the battery.

Also, disable a lot of the bloatware that the phone comes with. Or root it, if you want to get technical, though I've not quite had the bottle to do this myself yet.

helenmum76 Sun 16-Jun-13 22:21:41

Hi, i went to BestBattery.Biz rechargeable batteries and searched for a new battery for the Galaxy 4, the batteries are really good. You should try.

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 04:04:53

^This. And GPS drains battery like a bitch, too.

I would also add that I've found that certain apps are set to update themselves every so often, and can eat away at the battery.

I have my screen brightness turned way down, and also turn off my wifi when away from the house.

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 01:55:23

"More charges = better life span" and "the battery will get ruined if you charge before it dies all the time" are now nonaplicable to mobile phones as the batteries used are not the same as in the olden days smile
The one thing that kills an S3 dead quickly is if you open a load of apps/internet pages and then go back to the homescreen while leaving them running. Just hold the home button down for a few seconds and close all running apps now and then and your phone's lifespan should grow. It's something lots of people don't realize - you can't close most almost all apps by exiting to homescreen.

niceguy2 Fri 17-May-13 10:56:35

I think much of it depends on how much you are using it and what apps you have which may be sucking data whilst you are on the move.

What I suggest is getting a spare battery & charger like this S3 spare battery

I have one like this for my Galaxy Note and it's a godsend. Otherwise I wouldn't make it through the day either but then I do fiddle a lot with mine and watch movies etc on it.

willyoulistentome Thu 16-May-13 20:23:21

Mine lasts most of the day if not all day unless the kids get hold and hammer it with games and you tube. Not sure what I am doing different to you.

I have just bought an S3 after years of iphones. I am loving how customisable it is etc etc but..omg the battery life sucks. It plummets as I watch! It's only making it through the day if I turn all unnecessary stuff off and stop playing with it.

Is this standard for an S3? Will the battery life improve after a few charge cycles? I am thinking of buying an extended battery but they do make the phone bulkier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now