Microsoft surface RT any good?

(12 Posts)
NetworkGuy Sun 19-May-13 13:49:26

Misco Samsung with 5 year warranty for 499.00 inc VAT

OK, it may not be so 'hot' in 3-4 years time, but should be covered while he transfers collections of music etc from this one to some newer system... and this may become a 'family' laptop if he's away to Uni...

NetworkGuy Sun 19-May-13 13:36:14

Personally (old fogey, stick in the mud, been using Windows since early 90s) I'd not go for Windows 8 or a touchscreen. Windows 7 is still available, probably many more users and for now, great support. By the time the lad is getting near age for University, there'll be Windows 9 or something else and a new laptop then and if touchscreens have taken off prices will be lower (or one will get better value for money, if prices are similar level to the Lenovo or Acer you've seen).

Know it's your money, but not that long ago, someone listed 4 or so good laptops in the 300-400 pound bracket, so to me it appears you're perhaps paying an extra 200 for the fact it has a touchscreen. If that's the level you want to spend, a 400 quid laptop and some surprise item(s) may be an alternative...

I can see the familiarity with screen touching from tablets and phones, but still don't rate 'touch' for a bigger size computer. IMO, having a wireless mouse and a big screen is fine (I use 20" 22" 24" and 42" TV depending on what system I am using, from iMac to linux to Windows XP or Windows 7). Even the 20" screen is at the back of the desk too far for me to reach... Buying a laptop, I'd aim for 17" as minimum for a screen, though obviously it's back to you, and you're paying the bill...

Yes, I use touchscreen devices such as tablet and a few Android phones but my Android 'tablet' device {that plugs into the 40" TV via HDMI} has no 'touch' ability {I'd be up and down out of my chair to touch that TV screen, if it did} and a mouse works fine.

flatpackhamster Sat 18-May-13 08:29:17

Spec-wise they're pretty similar. Don't be embarrassed about choosing a touchscreen computer on the basis of how the touchscreen feels, it's no different to choosing a car on the basis of how comfortable the seats are.

schilke Fri 17-May-13 12:22:53

Thank you for advice. Looked at the Surface yesterday....yuk!

Ds1 after umming and aahing decided on a laptop. Dh & I had a look at some yesterday. Windows 8 certainly feels like you need a touchscreen! We have come down to these two...
Lenovo
or
Acer

I prefer the Lenovo because it had a nicer screen to touch blush
Are they much of a muchness?

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sat 11-May-13 09:25:10

Definitely go for the one of the ASUS Transformers. There's four models (in order of release date):

>EeePad Transformer
>Transformer Prime
>Transformer TF300 (I have one of these, it's amazing)
>Transformer Infinity

The Prime and Infinity are the more premium level ones, although above the other two they tend to be mostly better screen resolution and a slightly faster processor, so whether that's worth the extra cash is up to you.

But I can confirm that the TF300 is brilliant. A great quality tablet, never had any trouble with it and the benefit of having the detachable keyboard is threefold:

1. Much easier to type on than using an on screen keyboard.
2. It holds a second battery which charges the tablet half when they are docked together.
3. It folds up like a laptop/netbook which protects the screen when transporting so less likely to get damaged.

niceguy2 Thu 09-May-13 13:40:19

Windows surface is DOA. I wouldn't touch it with a big fat pooey stick.

Barely anyone is developing for it and therefore hardly anyone is buying it. And there goes the vicious circle.

What about the Asus Transformer Prime

The above is a tablet with a funky removable keyboard with battery. So on it's own it will act as a top quality tablet. When docked it has two batteries and is in effect a netbook.

schilke Thu 09-May-13 08:44:04

He doesn't have a buzzing social life - I just imagine the phone part of the iphone won't be used much. Perhaps I should just ask him! I have always liked the surprise element in presents though.

dramaqueen Thu 09-May-13 08:24:49

I think you should get him an iPhone. It's what he wants and you don't have to get him the latest model.

schilke Thu 09-May-13 08:21:50

Ok. I'll carry on thinking about it. I think he'll be underwhelmed by a laptop! I don't want it to be able to do much - just basic word processing etc and then the rest could be tablet fun, but perhaps it's not the right thing.

flatpackhamster Wed 08-May-13 10:56:10

The Windows App store is a bit sparse compared to the Android and Apple ones, AIUI. The Surface RT isn't a great purchase because of the processor, which means it can't run conventional (x64/x86) Microsoft programs. It's a bit of a dead end, technologically.

I would be inclined to hold off buying something like that. Does he need a machine to work on? If so, a Win7 Pro laptop from an online store like Misco would be a good bet.

schilke Tue 07-May-13 23:01:20

Anyone got one or an opinion on it? Please!

schilke Tue 07-May-13 14:18:27

Ds1's 15th birthday is in a few weeks. He can't think of anything he wants. He has an ipod (few generations old) and an htc desire phone which he is happy with. He would love an iPhone, but hasn't said that as we would not normally spend that much., however this year we thought we would spend a bit more. I am not keen on getting an iphone as, although he is very careful with his things, I would worry about it getting stolen.

We then thought about a laptop, but I'm not sure he'd use it for much. After that we came across the Microsoft surface. It has basic ms office which would probably be enough for him for homework for the next few years, but has the attraction of the tablet.

I have read loads of negative reviews, as well as some positive ones. I know the pro is coming out soon, but that will be too expensive. I think for his requirements it will be enough. I watched a few youtube comparison videos and they preferred the Asus Transformer Infinity.

Plus, anyone know what the windows app store is actually like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now