Are the all-in-one computers any good?

(7 Posts)
Anthracite Wed 08-May-13 06:49:53

We've had an Acer all-in-one for three years. I liked the idea of the all-in-one as it's in our dining room so I didn't want a lot of clutter. If I have to move it, then I just have to unplug one device and pick it up.

The only problem is that it overheats. This is because it attracts a lot of dust which get trapped in the cooling vents. When this happens, we just blast it with cold air (using the no-heat setting on my hair dryer). We have to do this 2-3 times a year.

whitemonkey Tue 07-May-13 17:38:39

Thanks everyone. I do already have an ipad. I use the laptop for work at the moment which I do from home. Im an accountant so have sage on my computer but I normally go into the works server and work via that. The only other thing it would used for is the kids homework.

MTSCostcoChickenFan Tue 07-May-13 16:28:30

If you have a laptop then why not treat yourself to a tablet?

Snorbs Tue 07-May-13 16:15:19

All-in-one computers generally have many of the same limitations as laptops. They cost more for a given level of performance, they have much more limited expansion and upgrade potential, and they are more fragile as everything is crammed into a small hot space with restricted cooling.

What you want to use it for will have an impact on the cost/benefit analysis as well. If you want to run demanding games or have lots of storage then a desktop would be a better option. If you are looking to move it around a lot and just use it for web browsing and word processing then an all-in-one computer might be a better fit.

MTSCostcoChickenFan Tue 07-May-13 15:48:19

Meant to type unreliable

MTSCostcoChickenFan Tue 07-May-13 15:47:51

It's not they are reliable. It's just if your screen goes then its not as if you can simply buy a new screen and plug that into your PC.

Having said that, I have an Apple which is.an all in one.

whitemonkey Tue 07-May-13 14:09:51

Hi, I am thinking of getting a new computer as my laptop is old. I was thinking of a desktop pc as I have a spare laptop I could use anyway. I have seen the all in one computers which I thought would be a good idea, as I could move it around more easily than a normal desktop.

Someone has suggested that they are not as reliable. Does any one know if this is the case. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now