Which smart phone for 11 year old?

(54 Posts)
Euphemia Fri 03-May-13 23:01:50

I'm confused by the data usage limits - do they still apply if it's mostly being used on our home WiFi?

I'm pondering:

iPhone 5
Blackberry Curve
Samsung Galaxy Mini

NetworkGuy Tue 06-Aug-13 20:52:32

There are certainly some SIM only deals with no included data. I think you can use sliders to select how much data, how many texts, monthly spending limit, and so on (and thus which deals are shown) on e2save.com and www.mobiles.co.uk and possibly on carphonewarehouse.com (owner of e2save and the other site!!!)

Note, that only compares the main networks (Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone etc) and won't mention rates on Asda Mobile, Tesco, Ovivo mobile, etc.

agnesf Mon 05-Aug-13 15:52:14

Reviving an old thread but I wondered if any of you can educate a smart phone novice.

DC wants a smartphone but I'm wondering if you can get one without any mobile data usage - say if you get a Tesco mobile sim only contract which costs £7.50 a month. .

Would you be able to just use the internet on our home internet connection or other WiFi?

I'm not keen on DC using internet outside of home.

niceguy2 Fri 10-May-13 17:15:37

OP, I recently had a similar dilemma with my DS who was 11 at the time and wanted a 'good' smartphone.

What I ended up doing was buying him a used Samsung Galaxy S2. It's a good couple of years old now but in terms of screen and performance it's still very good. Certainly more than enough power for a child.

The phone cost me £160 and it lasted a total of 4 months before the muppet spilt a drink on it and broke it. I haven't replaced it as such because I needed to teach him a lesson.

BUT...

You may wish to also look at the HTC Sensation. These are selling used on eBay in good condition for around £100 mark. That is also very good phone which should be enough for a child.

I've put my DS on a Tesco SIM only contract for £7.50 capped. First month he bust his data limit after two weeks as he'd downloaded games which was chewing his data. Lesson learned for him. But the cap is absolutely essential.

The bottom line is that I think it's better to get them a used phone which was top of the range a couple of years ago, than a new mid to low range phone. It will save you money, not tie you to a contract and just be less hassle all round when if they break it.

chicaguapa Fri 10-May-13 13:33:35

A lot of DD's class have the Huawei Ascend G300. It's on Android so they can all have the same apps and is an excellent budget smartphone. DD(11) has it on Vodafone, which has a built in Guardian app where you can restrict incoming calls from unknown numbers, internet usage etc.

If you were ok with getting a Windows phone, the Nokia Lumia 520 is the best budget smartphone at the moment on spec vs price.

DD sends texts via Whatsapp and a £5 top up lasts her for a good couple of months. She doesn't use it to make calls or browse the internet though. She's happy with playing games and texting her friends.

derektheladyhamster Fri 10-May-13 13:28:25

My son has a blackberry, bbm ing is all the rage apparently! We set up an account on our virgin account and pay £7 for unlimited texts, 150 mins (teens never phone each other!) and 500mb data.

NetworkGuy Fri 10-May-13 13:24:21

Third shop lucky - bought the last Tipo they had... While in L'pool saw a SIM Only deal on Orange at £11 giving unlim texts, 500 min and 1 GB data, so finally Orange offering better value for money,as they have started at a very stingy 100 MB...

NetworkGuy Fri 10-May-13 10:37:08

Will enjoy cuppa later... PAYG is a reasonable choice, and a lost/ stolen phone cannot be used to run up huge bills.

IrritatingInfinity Fri 10-May-13 09:45:01

Really useful post networkGuy. brew
PAYG is the obvious choice for an 11 year old. My kids are older and we have only just gone to monthly rolling contracts. I think the usefulness of extrernal memory SD cards is overlooked.

NetworkGuy Fri 10-May-13 09:13:32

sorry for typos - must dash as sister in L'pool today, so want to get on the 9:30 train...

NetworkGuy Fri 10-May-13 09:08:56

More important in my view, however, is that they can get the Sony Xperia Tipo mobile phone, running Android v4 and with over 2 GB of internal storage plus micro-SD card slot (so buy an 8 GB micro-SD card, if they are avid MP3 users, and they will have more than enough room to store music and swap with friends using Bluetooth).

Included is 50 GB of online storage FREE, through a deal Sony has done with "Box" (just download the Box App), so they can use that to backup photos and music. How much is the Tipo? 49.99 on PAYG, so it won't break the bank... It also has 3.5mm headphone socket, so can be plugged into an amplifier/ powered speakers to give them a bit more volume for their bedroom/etc.

My local EE store was out of stock yesterday, so popping into central Liverpool today to get one (before they are sold out online and across the country). O2 sells the Tipo for about £80 (I bought a refurbished one for 50 online a few weeks ago), but my year-old Huawei was complaining there was no SIM in it yesterday evening (despite me watching the lunch time news in a coffee shop), so am treating myself to a brand new Tipo on T-Mobile today...

The Tipo (and Xperia T) and others are coming down as newer Sony phones (such as Xperia Z) come into the shops. Given the majority of cheaper Samsung phones are running Android 2.2 or 2.3, I'd recommend the Tipo over them as some newer apps may not work on them (for example, the version of Flash on the Galaxy Mini means I cannot use some video services... sorry, don't remember which - I now use it more for radio {with TuneIn Radio Pro} than for video. On my Tipo I have used the BBC iPlayer and TV Catchup and, of course, YouTubenest...

NetworkGuy Fri 10-May-13 09:08:21

Without needing that "all you can eat" option the Essential 200 from Three is a pretty good deal, given it includes 5000 texts a month (many "unlimited texts" promises are "subject to fair use" which means 100/day or 3000/month, from other networks). Usage can be capped on Three as well as Tesco (so you can tell them that any usage over the "included" minutes and data is blocked - but you'd need to speak to Three customer services).

I would not suggest the Samsung Galaxy Ace (if at all possible) because of the memory restrictions. I own Galaxy Ace, Europa and Mini and all complain about 'low on storage' after adding a few Apps.

While I can see the "plus" (as a heavy internet user myself) of "unlimited" data, which I think it offered by Three and Virgin (but Virgin has a 3.5 GB 'fair use' limit) and T-Mobile (Full Monty at 25-30 quid), can I suggest a PAYG alternative?

How about the T-Mobile £10 bundle (100 landline minutes, 400 texts, 1 GB data). OK, not as generous as Three, I'll admit, but will assist with "knowing limits" (£15 gets 2 GB, 600 texts, 200 minutes).

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Wed 08-May-13 12:03:23

I save all the little silica gel sachets you find in various packaging. I have quite a stash of them now. Hopefully I won't have a wet phone incident but if I do I am prepared.

<<PFB with IPhone emoticon>>

tribpot Tue 07-May-13 19:40:25

Yep, rice saved a friend's iPad when he left it out in the rain for 5 hours. Good as new now but it took at least 10 days.

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 18:50:55

Pasta wouldn't work no. The best thing is the silica gel packets you get in parcels. But dry uncooked rice is a fair substitute in its absence.

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 18:50:06

Dry rice in a sealed bag. It absorbs excess water slowly which can be beneficial. It is a tried and tested method and recommend all over the internet. The minute I told anyone what happened they all recommend it.

Wuldric Tue 07-May-13 18:37:27

You put your dead phone in some rice.

Why?

Cooked rice or dry rice? Or did you stick it in the pan with some rice that was cooking?

Is pasta a substitute or is rice the only known (well in fairness unbeknown to me) cure for a dead phone.

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 18:21:13

Today I am very glad my DD has an iPhone.

I washed mine in the washing machine this morning. Retrieved it after 10 mins, but it is dead. Sat in rice seeing if it will do anything to help but I am not convinced. So, at least, this week - DD is away on a residential - I am using DD's iPhone as a replacement!

Theas18 Tue 07-May-13 16:20:10

Faints at the thought of my 11yr yr old having a better phone than me!!!!!

Sorry but I do think you are setting her up to be a bit of a " mugger magnet" these phones will be in her locker all day at school etc.

Make sure it's insured and capped contract wise. Otherwise look at MSE for the tales of woe of fully competent grown ups who " lent it to a mate/had it borrowed at a party /didn't " know " that roaming data costs £££££ etc etc - Oh and of course it's always the networks fault- NOT!

Mine have galaxy y's ( they are 17 and nearly 14 ) and the eldest (19) has my old iphone 4.

No " all their mates" don't have the latest smartphones either, one of DD2s friends doesn't even have a phone!

Hulababy Sun 05-May-13 22:34:56

Wuldric - yes that may be the case i guess but I am it/ computer science trained and keep very up to date with most things technological. Can see that changing. I am very aware if what can and can't happen. I can access anything still in her phone ad have access to what is occurring via my own via iCloud too. Emails all linked to my phone too. If things suddenly change I will know by its absence.

Have also brought dd being very it aware and have discussgrin e safety in detail. But I'm not niave and it will be continued and discussed constantly.

I'm the one paying the bill at the end of the day so if she doesn't like the level of control I impose I can always stop paying. Without my cash in the future for phone bills there will be no phone.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sat 04-May-13 23:51:25

I still wouldn't buy her an expensive phone even if ALL her friends had them. Just explain that it is too expensive.

You say you feel sorry for her, but she already has an iPod touch. What do you think she will be using the phone for.

Wuldric Sat 04-May-13 23:36:15

Hula, you may be technically more competent than your 11 YO now (will that last?) but with respect you do not have access to her texts, internet histories can be wiped, you have access to the email account that you know about (and not the others) and your loving and compliant 11 YO will become a teenager who will need privacy.

Hulababy Sat 04-May-13 23:30:47

I have full access to my 11y's phone. It is linked to my account too. I have all the passwords for her emails, etc. She has none of the passwords for any of our restricted areas of her phone. I check her texts and emails regularly. I can also check her web history very easily.

Wuldric Sat 04-May-13 23:08:12

It's funny but as parents we are more nervous of letting our kids out to play in the woods than we are of letting them have unlimited and unmonitored access to the internet - which is far far worse for them.

DD has 1200 odd friends on facebook. People she doesn't really know at all. Friends of friends of friends. They message, the messaging turns into exchanging numbers and before you know it ...

Too much too young and none of it particularly healthy IMO. And you can't control or monitor the access. DD was 8 and DS was 6 when I overheard the following conversation 'I can't get onto this game because of parental controls' 'Don't worry, I'll take those off for you, They're easy to get around.'

Euphemia Sat 04-May-13 23:04:23

I think the cost of replacement if it gets lost/broken is what is putting me off. Reading the terms and conditions of the insurance, it's a total waste of money as I'm sure the insurers would wriggle out of any claim.

It's one of those things where my judgement is to say no, but when the nine year-old across the road has an iPhone 5, her best pal has a Samsung Galaxy and an iPad, etc., etc. it becomes hard to see her wee disappointed face when Christmases and birthdays come and go and she hasn't got any of these things.

She's not a grabby or a covetous child at all - her whole life she's been surrounded by friends with more money than sense us. She knows she doesn't get things just because everyone else has them.

Maybe for starting high school next year ... smile And no Facebook ever if I get my way!

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 22:59:04

Can't they get most of that without a smartphone, Wuldric? Particularly the <holds stomach> sexting?

Genuine question - my ds is 7 and the only social network he is on is LearnAnywhere where the teacher can read every message that's sent! Might keep it that way til he's 30 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now