Help, cracked iPhone screen

(8 Posts)
Cheerymum Tue 30-Apr-13 20:45:28

Any suggestions as to the best way to deal with this? Screen on iPhone 5 cracked after being dropped. It is insured but with an excess of £100. Thanks for suggestions.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 01-May-13 19:37:58

Fix it yourself. You can get the kits on eBay pretty cheap and there's tons of YouTube videos that show you how to do it.

crazynanna Wed 01-May-13 19:45:06

Do IPhones have an Apple one year warranty? confused

Haylebop12 Wed 01-May-13 19:48:34

I have always taken mine to an independent mobile type place and had it done for £60/£70. It's now pink and I get loadsa comments on it grin there are also services via eBay. That's an iPhone 4 mind.

Cheerymum Wed 08-May-13 18:08:21

Great, thanks all for advice. Am good with my hands so have ordered a kit x

You cannot replace the screen on the 5, I broke mine recently and even apple don't do it they replace the whole phone, at a whopping £179 :0 I nearly cried.

FlumpsRule Thu 09-May-13 22:56:00

Replacement screens are fiddly but the YouTube instructions v good - just watch out for aerial - had my screen replaced in a shop & they mucked it up but I didn't know until I'd charged it & couldn't get a phone signal hmm. Then had to do a DIY job to fix it.

Handy tip.. I kept using my iphone for 6 months with a badly cracked screen by keeping it covered in cling film - worked perfectly & didn't get any worse.

Selba Thu 09-May-13 23:46:48

If you use the kit you will invalidate the warranty .
I replaced my screen from a kit. I'm very good with my hands but it was still tricky and the home button was never quite right.
I wold NOT recommend it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now