Cheaper version of spotify for android?

(5 Posts)

I've never used my phone for music but I've just started running and like having music to keep me going. I got a trial version of spotify which great, but only lasted 24 hours and it would be £10 a month to carry on which I don't really want to pay when I'll only be using it for running. Any suggestions for similar music apps that are cheaper or free?

Doinmummy Mon 29-Apr-13 20:20:05

I thought Spotify was free !! DD has it on her laptop and I've never paid for it...... As far as I know that is!

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Apr-13 00:17:09

Why not try 'internet radio' instead ? TuneIn Radio (and TuneIn Radio Pro, which has a price tag, but not sure how little much - definitely cheap as I've rarely paid more than a quid or two for any App) will let you find music by genre, so whether it's classical or rock, rap or techno, it probably has a list of stations for you to choose from.

OK, not the same as Spotify (which I used to use) but there's plenty out there. One service puts out about 8 different jazz-oriented streams, all (AFAIK) of the BBC services can be found, and hundreds of non-UK stations (not just Europe but North and South America, so plenty with English presenters for those {like me} with limited knowledge of other languages).

It's also less hassle than having to 'rip' your existing music CDs to make MP3s to play in your mobile.

katykuns Tue 30-Apr-13 01:30:48

Doinmummy - Spotify on the laptop is free, but the phone app isn't. When you pay, , you get the phone app and extra perks for the computer version, like no adverts.

No suggestions here OP, I would also like to find one!

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Apr-13 11:53:30

Over the years they have changed Spotify for desktops, because at one stage there was no limit on the number of hours you could use it each month, then they brought in a limit, and now once you've played a track 5 times I don't think it will play again.

Understandable really, as they can earn nothing while people just play tracks (OK, the ads must bring in something but in time terms, are less than some commercial radio stations play over the course of an hour or two). The costs must be massive, and the perks make it attractive (you can store up to 10,000 tracks locally, I think the limit is 3,333 per mobile device).

Admittedly you are only renting the right to play them and if you cancel it's just wasting storage space in your mobile and only suitable for deleting, but as I indicated, internet radio may be a free alternative with as wide a variety of music, just not in one place where you can search by album, track or artist...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now