Where to shop for a new laptop

(4 Posts)
amigababy Thu 25-Apr-13 20:04:53

We need a new laptop - nothing fancy. Previously we have bought from a High Street chain multiple, but recently when dd's netbook broke I took it to a small independent who did a good repair job on it. They have been in the town a long time and look after several company and school IT systems.
Do you think I should stick with the World of PC etc, where there are some good deals at the moment, or ask the independent to price us up a new laptop and go for the personal service that would come with it?

wordyBird Fri 26-Apr-13 00:35:55

It's up to you. I tend to recommend John Lewis because of their guarantees... and wherever you buy, there's nothing to stop you using the local independent if you need help.

By all means purchase from the independent for more personal service though, if that's what you'd prefer - and if they want the business smile

I'm saying that because we used to source from an independent, but gathered over time that they preferred to focus on larger businesses and contract work, because it was less expensive than helping out small companies and individuals. So you never know!

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Fri 26-Apr-13 07:59:00

You are almost always likely to find the best prices online.

But that shouldn't stop you going to both the big chains and the independent stores to get pricing quotes and see the machines in the flesh. You never know, there might be a great deal in the shops. But do your homework as well and make sure you know what it would cost you online.

MTSgroupie Fri 26-Apr-13 18:29:25

I find that amazon.co.uk offers the best prices. Sure John Lewis comes with a nice warranty but that's reflected in the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now