Dead laptop. Dead, old ipod. My friend wants to rescue his music from the ipod.

(39 Posts)
Pan Thu 25-Apr-13 18:38:59

My friend has had the double whammy. The laptop is beyond salvation and his ipod is the old style wheel-operated type. He has approx 25 gb of music on his 40gb pod, some of it irreplaceable and is beside himself. (which is a neat trick..)

He reckons he can get the disk out of the pod but is as clueless as I in how to recover the content off it. We assume this means transferring it somehow to another mobile hard drive, then putting that into a replacement computer. He has tried Apple but they are 'undecided' if it's possible.
Is there a way? What does he do with his extracted ipod disk? He's a lovely bloke and I'd really like to help him, with assistance obv!

Any answers at all?

< the usual 'thanks in advance' issued>

Pan Thu 25-Apr-13 21:35:51

My eyes hurt *freddie"! after looking at those links! So many circuits!

I think you're right it needs taking to someone who knows what he/she is doing.

grin I'd go to the local phone repair shop and see what they suggest.

Pan Thu 25-Apr-13 21:57:00

I'll tell him this. Thanks v v much for your ideas, freddie. If it doesn't work, "Another One Bites The Dust."

I am only sorry I was so useless grin

Pan Thu 25-Apr-13 22:03:24

But well-informed useless.grin

Keep talking you silver tongued flatterer you ..... ;)

Pan Thu 25-Apr-13 22:07:55

ha!

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Fri 26-Apr-13 08:07:14

Even if you can swap the disc into a different device you might find actually getting the music back on to a PC a bit tricky. Apple are bastards annoying on things like this because they are so concerned with stopping piracy that it makes it incredibly difficult to recover when things go wrong.

Good luck though, hope it can be recovered.

JakeBullet Fri 26-Apr-13 08:38:58

Hi Pan, my niece works for Apple as one of their "Apple Genius" staff...has had loads of training. I will ask her on behalf of your friend if there is any way around this.

HedleyLammarr Fri 26-Apr-13 08:42:59

As a test .....

Give me a short list of the very hard to find items your friend has lost and I'll find them for free most likely through my ways and means

I'll then zip file them abc email to any address you request. Once this has been done, l'll give you instructions how to get the rest of the missing songs

Tech answer - an iPod doesn't hold the actual mp3 file. It holds a sample (see nyquist theorem)

HedleyLammarr Fri 26-Apr-13 08:45:24

Edit - when I say for free most likely ... Absolutely no money will change hands

Pan Fri 26-Apr-13 16:32:48

Wow, thanks very much all!
Hedley I will ahve a chat with him this afternoon and find out the hard-to-get ones. He is about 45 yrs old so some may be <ahem> quite old......
Jake - getting all of the info is much more preferable, if at all possible please - that would be wunderbar.

youmaycallmeSSP Sat 27-Apr-13 17:34:43

If your friend does manage to swap the disks over to a working iPod then there is not strictly legal software that can retrieve the music from it. Google "senuti" and it'll be there.

I got ^ from visiting the apple store today with the double whammy of a dead iPod and a stolen MacBook. I had to cut my losses and swap it for a new one, so no music for me sad

hellsbells99 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:44:54

If you can get the music onto another iPod (transferring drive/disk) then there is free downloadable software called idump that will allow you to transfer music from an ipod to a pc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now